Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well somehow I ended up with a TAG aluminum rear sprocket and I wanted some opinions. I am only used to using steel sprockets. Will it hold up or should I get a steel one?

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
The aluminum doesn't last as long as steel that's for sure but they're not useless. Because they're softer they're also not quite as hard on the chain IME.

I've got a Renthal rear I've been running on my bike off and on for about 2 years now including a few trips to the dunes. It's got some wear but it's still in good enough shape to run without worrying about wear or damage to anything.

If it's the size you want I'd run it until it wears out.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only fear is ripping up the teeth and having the chain bunching up and F---ing up the case. I wanted steel but it was free.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Unless your chain is in bad shape or the sprocket's teeth are too small (not a problem if it's for a 520 chain) then I don't see where you'd have a problem

The teeth won't break off on an aluminum sprocket unless the chain slack is too loose or you hit something and those conditions will break teeth of a steel sprocket as well. The problem with aluminum is that they wear faster, not that they can't handle the strain.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. It is hard anodized. I went with a 37 and 15 tooth TAG. I got them for free because I had an issue with something and it took four emails and three phone calls to get a response. But when I did they treated me awesome. They gave me the sprockets to make good on leaving me hanging for over a month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts