Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off the Raptor will start, idle and drive fine. But sometimes while riding it will blow the 20amp fuse in between the battery and CDI. I can't figure out why it will run fine then blow for no reason. Its only getting worse too.

The positive terminal on the battery was fucked and wouldn't stay on real tight so I assumed this caused the fuse to keep blowing. The battery ended up not holding charge and had that bad terminal so I bought a new battery and new connectors and thought this would solve my fuse problem.

It didn't..

I checked every wire I could see and pulled the CDI out and checked those wires on the harness and I spotted some exposed wires. I taped them up. I also checked the starter wire and all connections. Everything was good.

I assumed it was the CDI that is bad. It is a stock CDI on a 686 with lots of mods.

I just ordered a new AMR stage 3 CDI and hopefully it will fix my problem. If not I'm assuming the voltage regulator is bad or it has to be a short somewhere in the harness and Ill just get another harness.

Please help me figure it out!!

Mike

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Assuming you have the headlights turned off, you have a wire shorting to frame, somewhere, either chafed or pinched... It will be red, brown, red/white or red/black stripe, (or yellow, if it only blows when you hit the brakes) period.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Not likely at all.

The fuse is NOT 'between the battery and the CDI' it is between the battery and the rest of the system - it drives the red wire which connects to just the key switch and the regulator...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man I wish I posted on here before I wasted $140 on the CDI.

I hope I can find the wire. Could a head light wire when lights are turned OFF cause this?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

I hope I can find the wire. Could a head light wire when lights are turned OFF cause this?
It could be any wire that Quad suggested, if turning on lights, or brake lights causes it, pay attention to that circuit, if the cooling fan turns on and that blows the fuse, concentrate on those wires, if you have extra accessories, check that wiring...........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be any wire that Quad suggested, if turning on lights, or brake lights causes it, pay attention to that circuit, if the cooling fan turns on and that blows the fuse, concentrate on those wires, if you have extra accessories, check that wiring...........
cool thank you. It's real difficult to determine where it is coming from.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
cool thank you. It's real difficult to determine where it is coming from.
If it is random, then it could be a main power supply wire that is pinched and shorting out when ever it feels like it, just remove the wiring harness and take a good look at the places it contacts the frame,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is random, then it could be a main power supply wire that is pinched and shorting out when ever it feels like it, just remove the wiring harness and take a good look at the places it contacts the frame,,,,,,,,,,,
I may have to do that. I wont be able to look at every wire unless it is pulled out.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts

Headlight wire possible only when on... else no 12V is on any of those wires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm starting to think it might be a brake light wire or the fan. I went out to try and turn it on and hit the brakes to see if it blew but I realized there was a blown fuse in it so it wont turn on and I ran out of spares :/ I'll try tomorrow..

·
Registered
220 Posts
yeah you have something shorting out or a loose connection that is getting hot an causing the fuse to blow. you can strip the harness of all the tape just retape it after or wire loom it and tape it so it doesnt happen in the future. you might also look into checking the flywheel cover and check the stator/generator, i had a buddy that had a ltz400 an the flywheel bolts viberated loose an chewed up the windings on the stator an shorted all kinds of wires. to the best of luck to you we are all here to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah you have something shorting out or a loose connection that is getting hot an causing the fuse to blow. you can strip the harness of all the tape just retape it after or wire loom it and tape it so it doesnt happen in the future. you might also look into checking the flywheel cover and check the stator/generator, i had a buddy that had a ltz400 an the flywheel bolts viberated loose an chewed up the windings on the stator an shorted all kinds of wires. to the best of luck to you we are all here to help.
Thanks a lot man. I just had the LA designs one way starter clutch installed by a guy, I wonder if the fly wheel bolts did the same as you said and chewed up the winding on the stator...

how can I see if that happened?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Thanks a lot man. I just had the LA designs one way starter clutch installed by a guy, I wonder if the fly wheel bolts did the same as you said and chewed up the winding on the stator...

how can I see if that happened?
Those bolts would never come in contact with the stator, and even if the stator was torn up, it would not cause your fuse problem..............

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
A direct short from any of the stator windings to ground will not cause this - ONLY what I described earlier will.

Get proactive - start unplugging things and see if the problem goes away - things like both brake light switches, the fan breaker, the headlights, etc... and/or, put a new fuse in and start moving the wiring harness around, along its path, to see if you can get it to blow - put a meter on the red wire and watch to see when it goes from 12V to 0V (with the key and run/stop on but engine not running). Also, look carefully around the battery box - wires get beaten up near the battery.

Does the bike die once the fuse blows, or do you just find out that it's blown after you've shut the engine off, and then it won't start again?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A direct short from any of the stator windings to ground will not cause this - ONLY what I described earlier will.

Get proactive - start unplugging things and see if the problem goes away - things like both brake light switches, the fan breaker, the headlights, etc... and/or, put a new fuse in and start moving the wiring harness around, along its path, to see if you can get it to blow - put a meter on the red wire and watch to see when it goes from 12V to 0V (with the key and run/stop on but engine not running). Also, look carefully around the battery box - wires get beaten up near the battery.

Does the bike die once the fuse blows, or do you just find out that it's blown after you've shut the engine off, and then it won't start again?
The bike dies when the fuse blows.. Ill get to work on it tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Unplug the regulator... still does it?
Unplug the connector on top of solenoid... still does it?
uUnplug the key switch... still does it?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
My 660 is blowing fuses as soon and u huck up 12 Volts to it instantly with out key on any help
You prolly have a worn or bare wire that touching the frame or other wires in the harness. Look at each carefully.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

It's best if you start your own thread, as this one is several years old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
QuadManiac[INDENT said:
[/INDENT];3351513]Unplug the regulator... still does it?
Unplug the connector on top of solenoid... still does it?
uUnplug the key switch... still does it?
Ok when I unplugged regulator rectifier the fuze stopped popping does this mean it's bad the 4 wheeler sat for about 2 weeks while waiting on parts it worked before it sat chargeed at 14 volts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts