Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a near used Elka Elite rear shock, to match my fronts, off a forum member a couple of weeks ago. The shock showed up quick, just as described, all around great deal. I went to install it tonight but when i went to mount it to the frame, the line was was not quite at the right angle. so I slightly loosened the brass bolt and pivoted the line. As expected, a small amount of fluid escaped along with a small blast of air.

Once it was installed, I adjusted all adjustments to the middle settings. It is super soft, with just the weight of the quad, the 1st spring is fully compressed. The shock has very little travel. Im assuming I need to add air back to the resivoir to stiffen it back up but wanted to check if anyone else has experienced this before.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yeah, you need to take it to a shop and have the nitrogen pressure refilled higher.

i had a rear podium resprung and revalved recently and it was extremely stiff. i brought it back to my shock tuner who built the rear podium on my raptor and he lowered the pressure and it got softer.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, you need to take it to a shop and have the nitrogen pressure refilled higher.

i had a rear podium resprung and revalved recently and it was extremely stiff. i brought it back to my shock tuner who built the rear podium on my raptor and he lowered the pressure and it got softer.
That sucks, so its nitrogen? Can the local dealer do that? I dont have any shops custom quad shops near me, maybe motorcycle shops.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I would think that the dealer could recharge the shock. I'm pretty sure it's nitrogen. Motorcycle shops should be able to do it also, but they may not know what pressure to fill them to. You can call Elka and see what pressure they send theirs out with.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Allow me to rephrase, any shop or dealership that services ATV and MC shocks should be able to recharge the shock. Also you don't have to remove the shock from the bike, either. My tuner was able to do it on the bike, I just had to cut the zip-ties holding the line so he could move the canister to a position where he could access it.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would think that the dealer could recharge the shock. I'm pretty sure it's nitrogen. Motorcycle shops should be able to do it also, but they may not know what pressure to fill them to. You can call Elka and see what pressure they send theirs out with.
good idea, thanks for the heads up.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
good idea, thanks for the heads up.
You can go to anyone that services refrigeration, they usually use nitrogen to check AC systems for leaks. They need to install about 165 to 225 psi to keep the oil from foaming............:)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Another thing about the small spring is that it may always be fully compressed, it is there mainly to soak up bumps and allow the wheels to drop into holes in rugged terrain, it is there mainly so you can have sag in the suspension but allow more travel in bumps..............

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing about the small spring is that it may always be fully compressed, it is there mainly to soak up bumps and allow the wheels to drop into holes in rugged terrain, it is there mainly so you can have sag in the suspension but allow more travel in bumps..............
Yeah, i kinda figured that. I just didnt expect it to be compressed until i sat on it. Thanks for your advise. Im going to load it into my truck and drive around till i find someone to fill it. Im heading to the Morganton GNCC race this weekend as a spectator, but will be riding at Brushy Mt. on fri.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yeah, i kinda figured that. I just didnt expect it to be compressed until i sat on it. Thanks for your advise. Im going to load it into my truck and drive around till i find someone to fill it. Im heading to the Morganton GNCC race this weekend as a spectator, but will be riding at Brushy Mt. on fri.
I'm going to Hillsborough, NC for the weekend, where are you in relation to that..............

·
Registered
376 Posts
:bump: for Willy's next post ending in "..................................":)

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So heres a shock update. I called Elka to get the recommended pressure setting. I was informed that the oil and nitrogen are in seperate compartments and i couldnt have released the nitrogen by loosening the resivoir bolt. So Its the oil that escaped, causing my problem. For future refrence, you have to release the nitrogen from the bladder via the shrader valve to release the oil pressure. You can then loosen and adjust as necessary. Once you tighten it again, you need to recharge the Nitrogen. 170 psi for Elka.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So heres a shock update. I called Elka to get the recommended pressure setting. I was informed that the oil and nitrogen are in seperate compartments and i couldnt have released the nitrogen by loosening the resivoir bolt. So Its the oil that escaped, causing my problem. For future refrence, you have to release the nitrogen from the bladder via the shrader valve to release the oil pressure. You can then loosen and adjust as necessary. Once you tighten it again, you need to recharge the Nitrogen. 170 psi for Elka.
Good info, thanks.

It's going to cost you more, now. and you have to remove the shock.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah thanks, it was a bitch to get in there. "Stupid Costs"
The way I have mine mounted is really a bitch, I have to remove the battery box and everything in that general area to route the reservoir to the front.

My fitting could use adjustment as well, but it's good enough right now that I'm going to wait until the shock needs serviced.

A shock service is typically around $75. Atleast you'll have fresh oil!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts