Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Been in the Shop since Monday waiting to get Pivot Works bearings all around....damn them for not having them in stock :( I miss it so much :help: What can I do to fill this empty hole

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
devildog_0431 said:
:( Been in the Shop since Monday waiting to get Pivot Works bearings all around....damn them for not having them in stock :( I miss it so much :help: What can I do to fill this empty hole
How old and how many hours on it did you have before the stock bearings shit the bed?

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be it's 3rd Set of bearings, 1st ones went out after 5 months, 2nd pair lasted almost 3 (stockers) so now I'm beefin up to Pivot Works to see how long they last.

·
Registered
137 Posts
WOW, Im almost at six months and my bearings are fine... I would think they last longer then that?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Me too. Haven't seen mine since early January.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I jump alot, but I'd think they last longer, Yamaha pricks just keep blaming my jumping as long as they make $ off me.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
devildog_0431 said:
Devildog, you might call and see if you can go down and visit your rappy, you should spend some quality time with her in the evenings, :( if she's cooped up inside, maybe they'd let you roll her outside for some fresh air. I'd definately tell her you won't be so hard on her bearings when she gets "out". :lol:

·
Registered
226 Posts
devildog_0431 said:

Mines been in the shop for 3 weeks now got the new pipe in the mail and cant slap it on yet. :( Ive got my stock bearings.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Mines been in a storage container for the past 3 weeks, Nothings wrong with it, I'm the one thats broken. :'( @ months to go till I can ride again. Not sure why all the bearing problems. I'm coming up on two years for my rappy with the stock set. What grease do you use on them. And how do you clean them are you pressure washing the bearing areas or getting into alot of water? i do alot of jumping and have been mx racing my rappy for a year and havn't had any problems and I do alot of jumping and have taken a some hard landings(one two many for my knee I guess).

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a pressure washer to clean it everytime I'm done riding, I don't do deep water at all, I just mx and dry trail ride. As soon as they replace the bearings they always start to get wobble after a few rides, it just bugs me that this happens, I don't land hard at all, I'm a very smooth jumper and have our local tracks down pat as far as rythm, suspension is dialed in like butter. So I dunno...hopefully these new ones hold up better.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
That sounds odd to me, I am not a pro but I have not heard of this being a big wear item on the raptor or any quads. Something is weird to wear them out enough to start wabbling after only a few months?? Maybe it is the pressure washing but I do mine after every ride too and no problems. :3question: :3question:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
devildog_0431 said:
I use a pressure washer to clean it everytime I'm done riding, I don't do deep water at all, I just mx and dry trail ride. As soon as they replace the bearings they always start to get wobble after a few rides, it just bugs me that this happens, I don't land hard at all, I'm a very smooth jumper and have our local tracks down pat as far as rythm, suspension is dialed in like butter. So I dunno...hopefully these new ones hold up better.
I wouldn't pressure wash it everytime. It's hard on the seals. I would either be careful around your bearings or switch to a hose and soft water.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Have you got some wear or distortion in the bores where the bearings go?? Doesn't seem likely but there has to be something to it!! Why not change them yourself anyhow and save yourself some cash?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I wouold install them your self and check the torqe specks. If they're leaving them loose or overtighting them. Also if you have sleeve or spindle damage, Not sure exactly which bearings your having probs with. If its the A arms it might be the grease your using or not using, for the front spindels it might be two tight or two loose or eaven a damaged spindle thats causing the probs. For the rear it would be the same thing, either the grease or over or under tighting.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealer greases them I guess, I only grease my A-arms. Can't be spindle damage cuz the dealer replaced the right side w/ a brand new spindle that had a defect and put new bearings in it, and it started to wobble prolly just a few weeks after they put it in, I just rode around on it thinkin the bearings suck ass. I will see how these new ones hold up, it's really been pissin me off cuz every time I turn around the bearings start to wobble, and plus I put in new bushings and jumped it the next day and they started to have wobble in them, greased and torqued correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Guam, good points to check. I knew there was someone that has to know something about this problem. If it were me personally, I'd find a different mechanic or try it yourself, I'd be bummed if the same problem kept coming up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts