Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have the jets I need, but i'd like to go to an aftermarket needle. Is there where I can get new needles without buying an entire kit? (if someone on here has some for sale that works too)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
You can't buy the needles seperatly. That is why you should just buy a kit in the first place. Other wise you end up with 2 sets of main jets.

The only way to get needles seperatly is to find some one selling them used.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Actually there is someone on e bay selling just the needles. Dont know if they match DJ or GYTR. Also I think you can go to ALBA's website and you can buy individual needles but you need to know the number on the needle that you want.

If you get them let us know if they have 5 or 6 clip positions and the number on the needle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0438694500&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Well there you go.

The other part of getting "aftermarket" needles is getting the correct lenght, taper, and diameter. That is why I always recomend dynojet or gytr (if you want to stick with mikuni mains). When you buy these brands your paying for the r&d time they put in to develop and test the needles. Vs. Paying some one like vito's or alba who matched up a needle that is kind of close. 90% of riding is done between 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, right where the needle controls fuel, so I wouldn't sell it short.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to go with a kit. I spent $25 at the dealer just for jets. and those needles will be another $20. I might as well go with a kit. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
If your currently running Mikuni Mian jets then I would suggest getting a OEM Yamaha GYTR kit. It is developed and tested by yamaha.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I believe up to a 165, and #25 pilots.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
GYTR kits include 140, 145, 150, 155, 160, & if I remember right a 165 main as well. It also has 2 # 25 pilot's a set of GYTR needle's & a GYTR decal. Ow ya & a page on jetting from GYTR.. I personally thing DJ needle's are better depending on your build.
FYI, the GYTR needle's have 5 adjustments & the DJ needles have 6.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I ran a DJ kit when I had stock carbs. There jets are not that confusing, just different.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Here is some good info on Jetting. It is geared twards 2 strokes, and Keihin PWK, PWM, PE, PJ carbs, but the carburetor functions are pretty much the same, other than 4 strokes haveing fuel screws, and 2 stroke carbs haveing air screws.

It has a good discription of the needle parts and functions.
http://www.duncanracing.com/TechCenter/KeihinCarbJetting.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts