Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came in from a short ride and now i need some quick help to make it back out. Two days ago while crossing a creek on my quad i managed to dig and do a wheelie needless to say i ended up with water in my air box. It was filled to the top. I drained it out and the i let it sit for 10 mion and it started right up. So today i go ridin and everything seems perfect. then all of a sudden my bike wouldnt turn over when i tried to start it. I thought it might be my bspark plug so i changed and still no luck. Somnethin made me check my oil and it is light brown like mud is mixed in it. im talking mud it looks disgustin. I drained it out by tippin my quad and now i dont know what to do. not sure if oil was the reason it wouldnt start in the first place. if anyone has a clue your help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
you need to drain and flush your engine with oil a few times bro. Sounds like you have water in the motor and thats not good. So, go buy yourself some oil and start draining and flushing.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Put some oil back in it, pull the spark plug and crank it over till all the water is out of the cylinder. Your going to hydraulic it and possiblty bend the rod if you keep trying to start it with out pulling the spark plug and purging the water out.
Also completley clean your air box, air filter and intake tract and make sure there no muddy water in the throttle body. You also might want to pull the connectors off your TPS and injector as well as the ecu and dry them out with contact cleaner and put dielectric grease in them once there dry before reconnecting them.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
Put some oil back in it, pull the spark plug and crank it over till all the water is out of the cylinder. Your going to hydraulic it and possiblty bend the rod if you keep trying to start it with out pulling the spark plug and purging the water out.
Also completley clean your air box, air filter and intake tract and make sure there no muddy water in the throttle body. You also might want to pull the connectors off your TPS and injector as well as the ecu and dry them out with contact cleaner and put dielectric grease in them once there dry before reconnecting them.
how do you hydraulic something? or do you mean hydro lock? big difference in the two randy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the spark plug out and tried to crank it over but it just gets weak and eventually it starts buzzin. it feels like the battery is dying but after i let it sit it does the sequence all over again. i did try to start it with the spark in. how do i know if i did some extra damange?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've been thinking about this more since my original post. The seemingly obvious thing is that your battery connections are loose, or the battery is weak or dead. But then I got to thinking: How did mud get into the oil reservoir? What is the "Somnethin made me check my oil" you typed about?

Here's what the service manual suggests checking if you think it's the ignition:

The ignition system fails to operate (no spark or intermittent spark).
1. main and ignition fuses
2. battery
3. spark plug
4. ignition spark gap
5. spark plug cap resistance
6. ignition coil resistance.
7. main switch
8. engine stop switch
9. crankshaft position sensor resistance
10. lean angle sensor
11. wiring connections (of the entire ignition system).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just so you know,I flooded my bike with water and the tps sensor shorted out.Disconnect it ,the bike will start but only run on idle.Thats if you didn't screw the engine up with water.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
You can also run the codes to see if they tell you anything about bad sensors.

Here is a break down of the engine codes for people that don't have the manual. Fisrt to let everyone know how this works. When you have the check engine light come on there is some flashes that will tell you a #. There would be slower longer flashes that tell you what the frist # will be. Then there would be faster shorter flashes that will tell you the second #. Now for exp. if you get two short long flashes with four short faster ones, then that whould tell you that that is a code 24.

CODES / ITEM

12 Crankshaft position sensor
13 Intake air pressure sensor (open or short circuit)
14 Intake air pressure sensor (hose line)
15 Throttle position sensor (open or closed circuit)
16 Throttle position sensor
21 Coolant temperture sensor
22 Intake ait temperture sensor (open or closed circuit)
30 Lean angle sensor (latch up detected)
33 Ignition coil (faulty ignition)
41 Lean angle sensor (open or closed circuit)
42 Speed sensor/ Neutral switch
43 Fuel system voltage (monitoring voltage)
44 Error in writing the amount of CO adjustment on EEPROM
46 Vehicle system power supply (monitioring voltage)
50 ECU internal malfunction (memory check error)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts