Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I've put over $3,000 in the Raptor over the past month. I'm becoming a little froggish, and may feel like jumping soon. You know... explore the wild side. I'm talking may be a bore/stroke. However, I'm not sure what piston size or bore/stroke period to go with. I mainly just trail ride, but I also do some drag racing, and do both to the fullest. Balls to the wall. I'm often told by my peers that they don't know anyone who can ride at my pace, all day as I do. So I guess I'll be needing some input. I'd like something that is still pump gas safe,(not limited to) but I'm looking to gain the maximum horse power from this mod. I also plan on changing my Hotcam Stage II, and upgrading to a better cam period. Are the higher compression kits going to bring the most raw power and horse power? What are some things I should consider? I noticed "Dales396lt4" kit is only a 10.75:1, but I think he had great results on the dyno with top speed to boot. This would be my goal. I want a quad that does 100+mph.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,450 Posts
If you have a quad that will do 100+ it won't be trail friendly. And what do you mean by "not limited to"? If you do a pump gas build thats all you should run. If you go higher octane you will have carbon build up. Personally I'd suggest enjoy what you have now and research what you want while doing so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I dont know about 100 mph but a 11.5 compression piston (stock bore) is as much as you can run on pump gas. As far as a cam everyone has there own opinon, maybe a stage 3 or a 50/50. I wish i went with the stage 3, but the stage 2 (which i have) was a big improvement over stock.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have a quad that will do 100+ it won't be trail friendly. And what do you mean by "not limited to"? If you do a pump gas build thats all you should run. If you go higher octane you will have carbon build up. Personally I'd suggest enjoy what you have now and research what you want while doing so.
I don't think a quad that could run 100 mph, would bar it from being trail worthy. With the right shocks, stabilizer, bars etc., I believe it would be ok. As long as it was set up for control, comfort, and some added stopping power. It's not like you will ever see 100 mph on the trails. Lucky if you leave 3rd gear.

As far as the statement "limited to" I meant I would like to keep it pump safe, but if I have to run higher octane as a result of the build, I don't mind it.

The new setup is going to keep me company for a while, and I have lots of new mods to try out this weekend. I'm just trying to line up my options and gather feed back now, because I have been known to make impulse decisions regarding toys and upgrades.

So, is it safe to say, the higher the compression ratio, the more HP? Or...???

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know about 100 mph but a 11.5 compression piston (stock bore) is as much as you can run on pump gas. As far as a cam everyone has there own opinon, maybe a stage 3 or a 50/50. I wish i went with the stage 3, but the stage 2 (which i have) was a big improvement over stock.
Yeah, I had no plans of doing the piston, so I went with the stage 2. I was told the stage 3 was for guys & gals with pistons and all. Figure by the time I would need a new cam, one of the higher end ones would be purchased anyway.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
X660X You can ride my quad any time... My 10.75 cp piston is the only way that I could go... I have a cycler that has ben cut to 0 deck this added 1.7, the +5 crank added .7, then I cut 0.015 off the head SO add all this up and my C/R is 13.25.. I have to run a mix of Shell 110 and 93 50/50 most of the time. For you that say that a 100mph quad is not a good trail quad Bull crap! I can run 9250rpm with 15-36 and 20" tires just at or just over a 100mph sandy power line road and hard pack.. I have run 4.8 at 68mph in the 300"

My head is a +2 cnc by Bo
Cam is an X4
Sparks CC BC X6

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,450 Posts
If you got your quad to do 100+ you would never leave 1st in the trails, and you couldn't lug it at all...When talking about doing motor builds go to the head and cam first. Decide what piston you want and do a port and polish with a bigger lobed cam. A friend of mine told me (if I remember right) that every 1 point in compression is ~12% of your hp. Pump gas stick with 11-11.5 if you want to run race gas go higher.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
X660X You can ride my quad any time... My 10.75 cp piston is the only way that I could go... I have a cycler that has ben cut to 0 deck this added 1.7, the +5 crank added .7, then I cut 0.015 off the head SO add all this up and my C/R is 13.25.. I have to run a mix of Shell 110 and 93 50/50 most of the time. For you that say that a 100mph quad is not a good trail quad Bull crap! I can run 9250rpm with 15-36 and 20" tires just at or just over a 100mph sandy power line road and hard pack.. I have run 4.8 at 68mph in the 300"

Cam is an X4
Sparks CC BC X6
Thanks man. I knew it wasn't impossible, or out of reach. I would love to have a Raptor that runs anywhere close to 4.8 in the 300. YOU HAVE ONE SICK SET UP!!!

NOW QUIT POSTING ON MY THREAD, OR I'LL BUY YOUR ENGINE DALE!!! LOL:D

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you got your quad to do 100+ you would never leave 1st in the trails, and you couldn't lug it at all...When talking about doing motor builds go to the head and cam first. Decide what piston you want and do a port and polish with a bigger lobed cam. A friend of mine told me (if I remember right) that every 1 point in compression is ~12% of your hp. Pump gas stick with 11-11.5 if you want to run race gas go higher.
Thanks for the advice. This is the kind of information I'm in search of. Appreciate your time and response.8)

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks man. I knew it wasn't impossible, or out of reach. I would love to have a Raptor that runs anywhere close to 4.8 in the 300. YOU HAVE ONE SICK SET UP!!!

NOW QUIT POSTING ON MY THREAD, OR I'LL BUY YOUR ENGINE DALE!!! LOL:D
All jokes aside Dale, you ran pretty good numbers on the dyno as well, didn't you?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Ok. So I've put over $3,000 in the Raptor over the past month. I'm becoming a little froggish, and may feel like jumping soon. You know... explore the wild side. I'm talking may be a bore/stroke. However, I'm not sure what piston size or bore/stroke period to go with. I mainly just trail ride, but I also do some drag racing, and do both to the fullest. Balls to the wall. I'm often told by my peers that they don't know anyone who can ride at my pace, all day as I do. So I guess I'll be needing some input. I'd like something that is still pump gas safe,(not limited to) but I'm looking to gain the maximum horse power from this mod. I also plan on changing my Hotcam Stage II, and upgrading to a better cam period. Are the higher compression kits going to bring the most raw power and horse power? What are some things I should consider? I noticed "Dales396lt4" kit is only a 10.75:1, but I think he had great results on the dyno with top speed to boot. This would be my goal. I want a quad that does 100+mph.
Dales 10.75:1 after the jug was milled .050 and stroker .75 extra he at about 12.5-13:1 easy I know sale and his build runs on 110 race fuel.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

Cam is an X4
Sparks CC BC X6
Dale you got a rev exstender my factory ecu cuts fuel at 8,800 in 5th gear 106mph on pavement at 15/36 20" tires. Now 9250 should be 115 ish. I wish I could turn more rpm so I could run 1/4 mile without topping out to quick.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
X660X: I have not been to the dyno with this new build... With the old build in my banner it pulled 74hp and 58tq (+1 head and HC3) (I think it was a Dynojet 248e) new build has CNC +2 head and X4 and it pulls up top way better.. The old build was a better combo for the trails it had more low end power with the new build I have to shift it more.

03rappy1987: I run 3rd and 4th on most trails here at CAW.. I think that 1st gear on the 700 is WAY to low.. I leave in 3rd on most drag racing.

Spider: yes I do

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Dales bike is a beast. I rode the old one if he had as much gains on new build as I did on my new build there's no doubt he can run 100 mph. I know my bike will and I trail ride like Dale on a stock swinger. Just gotta know what and not to do. That right thumb helps a lot. Not saying nothing about my build just 2 I can compare from personal experiences.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
For the cam I would look at the HC3 HDD told me with the race/billet cams you have to adjust the valves more often. A HC3 will still add bottom end if your doing a piston, tb so it will still be a good trail cam.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts