Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my chain blew off and took the factory case saver with it. i bought a pro design case saver to replace it. when i went to install it tonight i noticed that the top mounts for the case saver is gone. its attached to the bolt thats still in the case saver. the bottom is about the same but i can almost thread the bolts that came with the pro design into the lower mount. is there anything that i can do to get this pro design on and have confidence in it?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Ahh' Shit bro your screwed! Best thing you could do is weld them ends back on there and install the new case saver. Is that a billet case saver? If so don't bother using it! Get a UPP or TM designworks that are able to absorb shock like these http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=127&zenid=1f39eadd1f3b7e71cc93b68a3acf93ad
If nothin else JB weld the ends on and remount one of these case savers. Something is better than nothing and make damn sure your chain is always maintained to try and avoid another derailment. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
same thing happened to mine. chain broke and took out the case saver and broke the top mount off. left it on the case saver. i have yet to do anything about mine. in the end, i'll probably jbWeld it on and be happy my case wasn't broken in the process.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its billet. I thought about welding it but was concerned with heating the area up? Not sure how I'm gonna get the mounts off the factory case saver.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ahh' Shit bro your screwed! Best thing you could do is weld them ends back on there and install the new case saver. Is that a billet case saver? If so don't bother using it! Get a UPP or TM designworks that are able to absorb shock like these http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=127&zenid=1f39eadd1f3b7e71cc93b68a3acf93ad
If nothin else JB weld the ends on and remount one of these case savers. Something is better than nothing and make damn sure your chain is always maintained to try and avoid another derailment. :)
none in there for a 660...

·
Registered
131 Posts
the lower never broke on mine, just the stud for the upper... i wouldn't suggest welding the case saver perm to the block obviously, but you should be able to get the stud off the saver/shroud with an allen and some pliers or vice grips. then jb weld the stud to the block, and mount the case saver after it's cured..

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heres a dumb question- what are the cases made of? magnesium? the texture of the break looks like pot metal to me, but i dont know anything so...

·
Registered
131 Posts
interested to learn the answer to that as well. i WANT to say aluminum, but wait for someone who actually knows for a fact..

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Cases are cast aluminum.

Carpenter has veered out of the 700 section and inadvertently posted advice that is not applicable to us 660 owners.

There is also a good deal of debate as to the effectiveness and tradeoffs of a poly vs aluminum/steel case saver. Luckily we don't have to care, as there is no poly choice that I am currently aware of.

You will need to weld the tab back on. JB weld will put it in place and keep the new case saver from falling off when you ride, but if that chain jumps again the jb weld won't hold it and you may be fixing a hole in the case.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so it is safe to weld then? hahaha magnesium im retarded

·
Premium Member
41 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i took the broken tabs to my dads cousin that builds drag cars. i asked about welding the tabs back and he said that the pieces were too thin to weld and would blow apart when he put heat to them. i know nothing about welding but i think he just didnt wanna fool with it. can these be welded without demoishing them?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I knew this was a 660 section but I was trying to do whatever I could to help out my bro sanders! Obviously I had no idea wether or not there was a poly version available for his 660 but that's up to him to find out while shopping.
Hey sanders can you post some pics of the little peices as well as the case?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i appreciate the help carp. ill go snap some pictures. gimmie a sec

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
these are shitty cell phone pictures. included a penny in the pictures with the tabs so you could get an idea of their size.

top mount

bottom mount

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any metal Fab guys know what I need to do?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Any metal Fab guys know what I need to do?
I have repaired several cases by welding new segments into place by making them out of aluminum dowel, threading them to accept the appropriate hardware and weld them on to the case with a TIG welder.............

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you made new tabs out of aluminum dowel? Is there any special metal working tools needed? Could an amateur like myself do it?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
You could do it sanders! Atleast make up the dowels like willy suggested and then bring it in to a shop for the welding!
Oh and push the little flower button on your camera (macro) for close ups! Really helps ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts