Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend bought a used 02 raptor 660 and the guy give him this Durablue axle with no hardware. So my friend gave it to me. We both inspected and we noticed the splines on the right side of axle where the snap ring and posi nut goes is grounded down from improper installation or grinder etc....

My question is; Is there enough of a groove that you can see in the picture below for the snap to stay in position without coming out?

If not, My friend has a machine shop with CNC lathe and is able to cut a little deeper groove for the snap ring. His concern is, if he puts in a little deeper groove, will the snap ring still be tall enough and tight enough to work.

Attachments

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My friend bought a used 02 raptor 660 and the guy give him this Durablue axle with no hardware. So my friend gave it to me. We both inspected and we noticed the splines on the right side of axle where the snap ring and posi nut goes is grounded down from improper installation or grinder etc....

My question is; Is there enough of a groove that you can see in the picture below for the snap to stay in position without coming out?

If not, My friend has a machine shop with CNC lathe and is able to cut a little deeper groove for the snap ring. His concern is, if he puts in a little deeper groove, will the snap ring still be tall enough and tight enough to work.
Quite the butcher job...........:eek:
Make the groove deeper and make a new snap ring that is bigger. Years ago my sons friend was racing motocross and we noticed his new axle wasnt staying tight, all the hardware was there but no snapring, they had installed it without the snapring, how it even lasted one race Ill never know, when we saw this and enquired about it, they told us that they didnt get the snap ring with the new axle they had just installed, so I grabbed a welding rod and removed the flux, and rolled it into shape on there axle, and then set it up for the proper preload.
All the snapring is is a round rolled piece of rod............:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite the butcher job...........:eek:
Make the groove deeper and make a new snap ring that is bigger. Years ago my sons friend was racing motocross and we noticed his new axle wasnt staying tight, all the hardware was there but no snapring, they had installed it without the snapring, how it even lasted one race Ill never know, when we saw this and enquired about it, they told us that they didnt get the snap ring with the new axle they had just installed, so I grabbed a welding rod and removed the flux, and rolled it into shape on there axle, and then set it up for the proper preload.
All the snapring is is a round rolled piece of rod............:D
Thanks willy,
I do have to order all the hardware from durablue, that's going to cost $170!!!. Will the snap ring that comes with the parts kit still work after regroove it? Or I'm going to have to make one from welding rod like you said.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
For $170 bucks in hardware and a cobble job you might be better off buying another axle.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
For $30.00 more you could buy a g-force axle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For $170 bucks in hardware and a cobble job you might be better off buying another axle.
I was thinking the same thing to. I was looking at the tusk axle on rockymountain.com for $200 or abla racing axle, but I'm not sure about the durability at that price. I might just wait until I bend my stock axle to force me to buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I have the g force axle and it has been really good to me so far. They are waranteed for life to so if you bend it they will replace it for free. Gotta love that. =)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the g force axle and it has been really good to me so far. They are waranteed for life to so if you bend it they will replace it for free. Gotta love that. =)
My friend has the g force axle. It looks pretty durable, However I noticed rocky Mountain discontinued that axle and replaced it with one named tusk off road. It looks like they just put a different sticker on it.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Tusk, G force there all the same, I bet the Tusk axle is made by one of the axle company's. I have a g force on my 700 and the PO beat the hell out of it MX'ing and it held up just fine.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
The only problem with the g force is i have heard people have trouble with the hubs not staying tight. I have had the same problem. This last time i got the hub nuts as tight as i could. Hopefully they stay tight this time. Besides that it has been a great axle. Expecially for the money. =)

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Locktite work to keep them tight. I had a durablue that I could not keep the nuts tight either. Lost the because of that at SL and this last weekend the hub also came off of it. This was due to the nut stripping out because it wouldn't stay tight. So I think its safe to say they all might have the issues.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Locktite work to keep them tight. I had a durablue that I could not keep the nuts tight either. Lost the because of that at SL and this last weekend the hub also came off of it. This was due to the nut stripping out because it wouldn't stay tight. So I think its safe to say they all might have the issues.

Yeah but electrical tape and cotter pins will sure keep it on there, lol! I was in shock when you guys got back to the house and I saw that, not gonna lie...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only problem with the g force is i have heard people have trouble with the hubs not staying tight. I have had the same problem. This last time i got the hub nuts as tight as i could. Hopefully they stay tight this time. Besides that it has been a great axle. Expecially for the money. =)
My friend has that same problem. I told him to use red-loctite. I use to race Superbikes in Tx for a couple of years. I used it on any nuts and bolts that I touched or wasn't safety wired. Never had one issue.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
For that money just buy a complete axle and use the other as a wall ornament.............:D

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
For that money just buy a complete axle and use the other as a wall ornament.............:D
Or a club! Should work excellent for either!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
It would hurt if you can get some speed behind it lol.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts