Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 Raptor 660 and i want to go faster, i have GYT-R pipe, k&n filter, and its been jetted! I really want to out run my buddies Polaris 525 outlaw. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
The big question is do you wanna go there fast or get there fast? There is a big difference. Budget is also another big question as mentioned. The easiest way to determine YOUR build is to search other build threads in the forum and spend several hours or days reading. Then you can come with some specific questions about a build you have put together (and that fits in your budget). This question gets asked about every week.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The big question is do you wanna go there fast or get there fast? There is a big difference. Budget is also another big question as mentioned. The easiest way to determine YOUR build is to search other build threads in the forum and spend several hours or days reading. Then you can come with some specific questions about a build you have put together (and that fits in your budget). This question gets asked about every week.
You are right. It's gets asked often and there are lots of varying ways to acccomplish going fast and there are lots of builds on here.........:D

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Hit that throttle! Go fast! Lol!

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
My build will make you go fast... but in hindsight you could probably build a much more reliable 700 for about the same price. I like to think that someday I will have a 700 with 5mil stroker, injection controller, throttle body and duals (plus chasis mods).

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
8 mil or bigger crank, 106mm bore, 14:1 piston, Duals, FCR 39mm's, HV port job, 3 plugger, X4 cam, Lockout clutch and billet basket, that will make you go fast. Might need some chassis mods for that build though. Also might cost as much as a brand new 700. This is why we say the budget is very important but if you do go with the above build you will put a spanking on that Outlaw for sure;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
8 mil or bigger crank, 106mm bore, 14:1 piston, Duals, FCR 39mm's, HV port job, 3 plugger, X4 cam, Lockout clutch and billet basket, that will make you go fast. Might need some chassis mods for that build though. Also might cost as much as a brand new 700. This is why we say the budget is very important but if you do go with the above build you will put a spanking on that Outlaw for sure;)
A properly set up 660 based 3 pluger will make ya go fast...& get thear faster...:)
But that brings us back to the budget thing.....

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
A properly set up 660 based 3 pluger will make ya go fast...& get thear faster...:)
But that brings us back to the budget thing.....
Yeah and NOTHING is cheap either. Well not for a poor guy like me anyway. I do lots of deal hunting. Only way for me to have something fast, well somewhat fast. My 700 won't be a fast as my 660 was:( Ran out of money somehow. It should ride nice though.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yeah and NOTHING is cheap either. Well not for a poor guy like me anyway. I do lots of deal hunting. Only way for me to have something fast, well somewhat fast. My 700 won't be a fast as my 660 was:( Ran out of money somehow. It should ride nice though.
Be careful what u say. you might get shunned by the 700 guys.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Last time someone told me to just mash the throttle to go fast well I blew it up no one told me you had to shift lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
budget is a issue, i can put in about $500-700, i also heard alot about a 3plug head? dont know if thats something i should buy or not!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
budget is a issue, i can put in about $500-700, i also heard alot about a 3plug head? dont know if thats something i should buy or not!
Every 660 should have a 3 plug mod of some sort... But its not the cheepest mod out thear.. I have over $$1000 in 3 pluger parts, alot goes into this setup. My whole motor is set up to run on 3 plugs....Take one away & she wont run properly..

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
The 3 plugger is awesome but you need more than just the head. There are alot of things to consider and if you have that budget I'd start with this stuff. It will bring your quad to life right now and are things that will be needed in the future. Without them the three plug head is pretty much useless.

Open the airbox (free - unless you don't have a jet kit)
Upgraded valve springs ($125-175 if you do it yourself)
Cam - Start with stage 2 if no other motor mods ($125) - will probably wanna bump to stage 3 if you get a 3 plugger

If budget allows in the future then consider these:

Porting ($400-500 for quality work) - Willykiller can do that
Three plug setup ($500+ for work +international shipping)
Supporting electronics needed ($200-300) - will need this before sending the head off

I would also do this if you are going to be spending this much on a build (for reliability purposes):
FCR carbs $500-700 - you can do without but won't see the real performance gains of the porting/3plug without them.
Upgrade to dual exhaust or a better single - not entirely necessary though and expensive for the gains
Upgrade your stock rod - hotrods stock stroke crank ($250 + gasket set) - some people would put this up in with the first section

1 - 15 of 15 Posts