Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my '04 rappy in February of last year, I've went over the handlebars twice and dumped her on the side twice.

This summer I want to widen it out a bit, front and rear... I think. It seems to make sense, If I go with +2's in the front, I will most likely get the adjustable g-force rear axle to widen it 4" in the rear. Is that the best way to go? I guess I would say I'm an aggressive trail rider and I'm 5'-11" at 235 lbs.

Last year I installed some '05 YFZ 450 front shocks and I'm very happy with them. I'm looking for the best possible +2 arms with tie rods. I'm looking at spending between $300 and $500 on them. I'm not sure what the difference is between the heim joints and the type of ball joints that are on the stock arms.

Of course I want to get the best for the amount of money I'm willing to spend. I've checked rockymountainatv.com and couldn't find anything. I don't know of any other good online stores to buy from. I checked ebay and I found these:

Full Flight
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RAPTOR-660-2-1-A-ARMS-FFR-4COLORS-FREE-KEYCHAIN_W0QQitemZ220106133987QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220106133987

ASR
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASR-Raptor-660-2-up-1-Sport-Star-Plus-A-Arms_W0QQitemZ180111794759QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180111794759

I'm looking for suggestions about whether or not I am correct in assuming that it is probably best to go equally wide front and back. I would also love to hear your suggestions on +2 arms.

thanks,

krinkle

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Between the two you listed I would definitely go with ASR. I've read some not-so-flattering things about the Full Flight arms. I have ASR and they are plenty stout. I'd recommend the Sport Star arms without the adjustable upper arms, just a p.i.t.a in my opinion, and not necessary for the average joe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i got the asr arms and love them made a huge differnace two.

·
Registered
177 Posts
heres a pic of the asrs powder coated and chromed(before elkas, old pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If you don't want to spend a $600+ on arms, check i-shock/HD, alba (albaaction), but ASR is probably best bang for the buck below $600. I just shelled out $1500 on Houser a-arms and Elka's. I'll let you know how it works when the shocks get here tomorrow (praying UPS doesn't fuck up).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick responses :thumbsup: keep 'em coming. I was reading a bit more on the ASR link and found this.

"The arms are wider so you should purchase wider Brake Lines. Your stock ones will probably fit, but why take a chance on stretching or tearing one." What do you guys think?

·
Registered
373 Posts
u cant go wrong with i shock they make some good a-arms

but u are gonna want to get longer brake lines it's a must

here's a pic of the ishocks arms. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I got away with stock brakelines on my setup, I only switched to braided lines when I put my YFZ calipers on.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your input. I've decided to go with the ASR, the price is right, especially when I've got tires and an axle to buy also.

Should I order extended brake lines to go along with these arms?

Is there anything else I will need to buy with the g-force axle, other than the wrenches?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You can get away with stock lines for now, you just can't attach them to the arms, they have to just hang there. The arms should come with everythin you need for the install, and don't be light on the grease, get some good stuff and put plenty of it on. You should be good to go for the front. I'd recommend doing axle bearings when you put the new axle in, you'll be most of the way there anyway, might as well replace the bearings.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Here is my new setup, installed and ridden. It's F*CKIN sweet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^ That looks pretty sweet man! ^^

I ordered the ASR Sport Star arms from ebay on Friday. I assumed they would be in stock and shipped right away... I guess not. They won't be shipped until next week... maybe. That's what I hate about buying from ebay. I'm thinking about getting a refund and going with a different retailer/brand.

I'm not sure if I like the Heim style joints on the ASR. But then again, I don't know anything about heim's.

maybe these:

http://store.albaaction.com/shop/AL210-SILVER.html

any opinions on them?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got that setup with the Elka shocks from Alba and I love them. It made a huge difference in way that it rides. The bike feels so much more stable now. I don't have any photos yet, but I hope to very soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts