Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a 660 raptor a few days ago that was supposed to be an 03. after some research on here it turns out to be an 01. i have heard of the trans problems with the 01, is there any other problems with that year? also what can i do to help keep this trans healthy without changing it? so far no trouble with it.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Being over ten years old it was probably already changed or it was one of the good ones. I wouldnt worry about it till it gives you reason to worry.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
What makes you think that you have an '01? Does your title say it's an '01? If that's the case, then I guess I'd say that's buyer error, but if there was was no paperwork, you still should have been able to see by either the 10th digit on the VIN#, or at very least the subframe ('01's have a different subframe). Other than that, you would have to have taken the motor apart to be able to tell that you have an '01 trans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What makes you think that you have an '01? Does your title say it's an '01? If that's the case, then I guess I'd say that's buyer error, but if there was was no paperwork, you still should have been able to see by either the 10th digit on the VIN#, or at very least the subframe ('01's have a different subframe). Other than that, you would have to have taken the motor apart to be able to tell that you have an '01 trans.
square subframe, 10 digit is 1, and remote resevoir. so pretty sure its an 01. i should have checked all this first, but it was late and i still look for honesty in people. so its all on me. oh well, it does run good and looks pretty good. and i only got about 500 in it so i shouldnt complain. but still, i was lied to.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
The one way starter clutch also has problems on the 01-02. Mine had a couple bolts shave off. I think the only way to make sure nothing happens with that is to take it apart and see if yours is oem or not.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
square subframe, 10 digit is 1, and remote resevoir. so pretty sure its an 01
Yeah, that's an '01. I'm just confused about how you were lied to is all. If you knew all this before you purschased it, and still bought it, you weren't lied to.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
For $500 I wouldn't complain about it. There are alot of 01's still kicking. I got a 01 last year and found that 2nd was starting to slip. Even after all them years it could still go bad but who cares. Ride it and have fun until you break it. Just about all the 660's had starter clutch issues. 04-05 were better though. Go ride and have fun.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Not trying to be an ass about this, just so you know. And I agree, if you got the bike for $500, I wouldn't be that worried about it. I agree that you would like to have people be completely honest with you about what you are buying, but in a lot of cases, it doesn't happen. Sorry it happened, but especially if there are no issues with the bike, you got a pretty damn good deal. Post up some pics of your new ride brother!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I agree with the above statement...don't worry until it gives you reason to worry. My friend's 2nd gear went in his 2001 about two years ago. Hopefully yours will be ok, but like everyone else said $500 is a great deal. Post up some pics!

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
I still have my 01 for 8 years now, with no problem with the tranny and i ride pretty hard on lol.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
just got a 660 raptor a few days ago that was supposed to be an 03. after some research on here it turns out to be an 01. i have heard of the trans problems with the 01, is there any other problems with that year? also what can i do to help keep this trans healthy without changing it? so far no trouble with it.

Should it turn out that it is an 01 transmission, as long as you shift the gears properly as in no speed shifting, you shouldnt have any problems, I have seen more 02s and up with gear problems then the 01s..........but then there are more 02s and up out there then the 01s.............:)

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
The one way starter clutch also has problems on the 01-02. Mine had a couple bolts shave off.
Not quite correct. The one-way is a problem on ALL years - with 04-05 being a bit better due to a not so great re-design.

I'm still on the stock 01 tranny, 11 years later... knock on wood!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that's an '01. I'm just confused about how you were lied to is all. If you knew all this before you purschased it, and still bought it, you weren't lied to.
i didnt know it before i got it. just found out today while browsing on here. but like everyone has said, for 500 bucks and no issues at the moment, good deal. just to clarify the $500. i didnt buy it, i traded a ds650 that i had $500 in to it. its the wifes quad and as long as shes happy it will be fine. and right now she is LOVIN the rappy. i will try to get some pics of it in a day or two.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
i didnt know it before i got it. just found out today while browsing on here. but like everyone has said, for 500 bucks and no issues at the moment, good deal. just to clarify the $500. i didnt buy it, i traded a ds650 that i had $500 in to it. its the wifes quad and as long as shes happy it will be fine. and right now she is LOVIN the rappy. i will try to get some pics of it in a day or two.
:eek: Traded a DS650 for a 660:eek: Well I hope the DS was not in good shape at all. I have had a couple DS650's and they are very tough. MANY hours put on both of them and they both held up great. One blew up due to it sitting with water in the oil all winter. But the down side to a DS is there is very little support, no forums and when they break they are hard to find parts for aside from the overpriced dealer. Still love them though.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
:eek: Traded a DS650 for a 660:eek: Well I hope the DS was not in good shape at all. I have had a couple DS650's and they are very tough. MANY hours put on both of them and they both held up great. One blew up due to it sitting with water in the oil all winter. But the down side to a DS is there is very little support, no forums and when they break they are hard to find parts for aside from the overpriced dealer. Still love them though.

OMG........:eek:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I did just throw that out there on a Raptor forum:D Very true though, the Raptor 660 was just not built as good as a DS650.
I've worked on a few DS BOMBS, they have got to be built about as ugly as possible and as heavy as a tank...........
Their a-arm round tubing welded to a square ball joint fitting, like no nicety at all.............

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Yeah the upper arms are shit I forgot about that. Yeah they are Ugly but it grows on you some, Very heavy but still do very well to other stock quads. A piped 660 and DS with a slip on(Full pipes don't do much) they are about equal. Better suspension on the DS is a big plus to. But the parts are so damn expensive and hard to find anything if you need it. I rode on a set a bad axle bearing to long and it cost almost $800 to fix it and that was with a used carrier. Now there seem to be more parts available then there was then in 2006. It took me 4 months before i found one that was being parted.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yeah the upper arms are shit I forgot about that. Yeah they are Ugly but it grows on you some, Very heavy but still do very well to other stock quads. A piped 660 and DS with a slip on(Full pipes don't do much) they are about equal. Better suspension on the DS is a big plus to. But the parts are so damn expensive and hard to find anything if you need it. I rode on a set a bad axle bearing to long and it cost almost $800 to fix it and that was with a used carrier. Now there seem to be more parts available then there was then in 2006. It took me 4 months before i found one that was being parted.
I had to rebuild an engine on one that burnt the cam bushings. It cost more to fix then the bike was worth. ...........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts