Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is my first i went ridding last sat it was muddy n imean muddy my rear brakes keep sticking i was in 1st gear wich usually pulls fine but keep staling due to my brakes now i have to replace pads n rotor my chain loose as all get out also my calipers seems froze i lost all my front brake resitance in my lever but when i checked today it was there ???? any ideas on whats to replace them with n why one day no resitance in lever n next there was fyi never order them brake pads off ebay for 30 bucks for whole bike costs alot more in long run just learned the hard way who iam i kiddin the only way i learn lol:confused:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome! I take it that you're doing this from your phone, cuz that's a pretty long one sentence intro and question! Could you break that one sentence up a bit and make it a little more understandable and easier to read?
Yeah never cheap out when trying to save on the things that matter like brakes! Even if it is an American company they could be some cheapo's made over seas.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
So this is my first. I went ridding last sat, it was muddy, and I mean muddy. My rear brakes kept sticking. I was in 1st gear, which usually pulls fine, but keep stalling due to my brakes. Now I have to replace my pads and rotors and my chain loose as all get out. Also my calipers seems froze. I lost all my front brake resistance in my lever, but when i checked today it was there. Any ideas on whats to replace them with and why one day no resistance in lever and the next there was. FYI: never order the brake pads off E-bay for 30 bucks for all sides. Bike costs a lot more in long run. I just learned the hard way, who am i kidding, the only way i learn lol:confused:
Fixed.

Not really sure about the break problem though. Check the pads. Make sure they're not completely gone. Sounds like the fronts maybe got a little hot on you or something. As for the chain, I usually have to adjust mine every month or so. You also might want to look into a more severe service brake pad for heavy mud terrain.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Much better swiper!

Do you get pressure when you pump your front break lever? It might just be mud that was causing your caliper to not work properly, did you fully semerge your front in mud?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Come to find out my rear brake caliper was dragging bad and I ate through a rear set of pads in about 3 short trips and 1 big trip. By wore out I mean no pads left at all. We have since pulled the caliper and found that it was sticking and not sliding on the rods at all. My new pads finally came in yesterday so we shall see how much the cleaning has helped.

Basically, it sounds like your ebrake isnt releasing properly or your caliper is seized up.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Make sure to check rear rotor also after my rear brake was dragging my rear rotor was warped from the heat just an idea

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
My rear break was draging after I installed new pads and i couldn't get the piston to retract is there an easy way to adjust it? My fix was to ride around untill some of the break material got warn off and it was fine but I wouldn't sugest that as a fix since it was burning up the pads. For his problem the pistons may just need a regular cleaning/ service I know on my other quad the piston started rusting up and was causing it to lock up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd make sure your ebrake is fully disengaging first. Then if you want to fully push in your piston, you have to take it off and put a piece of wood over the piston and use a C-clamp to push it in all the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts