Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i have been playing with my idle. I seen some where that it was said to set it at factory settings. I need to turn the adjuster until The spring is fully seated then turn it back? 2 1/2 to 3 turns? Is that correct? If so when I do this my bike seems to idle really really really high. Is that normal? To my knowledge the bike is stock. It is a 03 Yamaha Raptor 660.

·
Registered
735 Posts
that is for the mixture screws (one per carb) located between intake manifold and carb on the underside of the carbs. the idle screw is on the left side where the throttle cable goes. adjust it by ear

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is what I had assumed. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have another question. Had a friend say it smells like my quad might be running rich. want to double check and see where the fuel adjustment screw is. Is it the screw that is on the bottom of the carbs? If so I was looking at them and attempted to adjust them I could only take them out farther. they wouldn't go in any farther. And they were really snug. And after loosening them, They didn't stay snug with the quad running they wanted to vibrate out. Are those the correct screws or did I screw with something I shouldn't have? Or if this is correct should the screws gone in farther than they did? Because I couldn't get them to go in any farther. I think the carbs are in need of being cleaned. Which will be my project here within' the next wk or so. Thanks agian for the help.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Well either you choked off the fuel screws or you were trying to loosen the wrong ones and that's why they wouldn't stay in the bike. The fuel screws should be set somewhere around 2 turns out, the bike shouldn't be run with them tightened down.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I sprayed some lubrucating spray on the screws boths side it allowed me to move them in further. And upon doing so it smoothed the idle as well and elemitanted a strong unburn fuel smell. I think I need to pick up 2 new screws as well as springs for the fuel adjustment. I think they are a little gunked up. is what was causing me from being able to tighten them more and possibly the spring is worn some so it wasn't keeping enough pressure on the screw to stop it from vibrating and spinning while it was running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.