Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Raptor 700SE, 2005 Raptor 660R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, weird frustrating issue I've been chasing for weeks. 2005 660r.

I started the bike up to prep for desert season, new gas, charged the battery, cleaned air filter, oil, etc.
It ran great, fired right up and rode like it did when I put it away. (Yes I drained the carb before storage). I brought it out to the desert the following weekend and put my volt meter to the battery before trying not start it, I just wanted to make sure it held it's voltage. There was a small arc when I put the meter probes to the battery terminals and then it was very hard to start. I ended up bump starting it and when it finally started it sputtered and popped like crazy. It was ridable for the day but it never cleared up. I didn't think much of the slight arc when I was using my volt meter. I cleaned the carb, didn't help. I replaced the carb, no change besides a slightly smoother idle. Since then I've replaced the CDI, the starter relay, spark plug, coil, new air filter... No change. I checked the fuel hose, the petcock/tank filter, all was clear and clean.
When it's choked, it revs better but still backfires. When it's hot and unchoked, it starts to rev good but will not hold it's rpm when wide open, it bounces off the top.
Revs pretty good when I cover one side of the intake in the air box, but some fuel shoots into the air box when I do that.
Once I get it to rev cleanly without the choke, as soon as I put in gear and try to ride it, it wants to fall on it's face. It will roll around but when pushing the throttle more than a quarter, it loses it all and I have to pull in the clutch and gently rev it to keep it alive. Bike is stock besides a big gun evo r slip on exhaust that has been on it for years.

I'm running out of ideas here! I'm becoming more and more convinced it's an electrical issue.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Either park brake switch.
Or reverse switch.
They will cause your symptoms and are a simple fix.
Search for those here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either park brake switch.
Or reverse switch.
They will cause your symptoms and are a simple fix.
Search for those here.
I haven't been able find clear instructions for a 2005 and I understand there's some difference electrically.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I haven't been able find clear instructions for a 2005 and I understand there's some difference electrically.
Unplug the park brake, left side near radiator, white plug.
If it still does it, connect the 2 wires at the plug, and it will think the clutch is pulled all the time.
I did an 03 a few months ago, and just unplugged it.
My 05, a few years ago, if I remember correctly, I had to connect the 2 wires.
There is a difference with handbrake sensors for 04/05, or just 05, but I don't remember exactly what.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unplug the park brake, left side near radiator, white plug.
If it still does it, connect the 2 wires at the plug, and it will think the clutch is pulled all the time.
I did an 03 a few months ago, and just unplugged it.
My 05, a few years ago, if I remember correctly, I had to connect the 2 wires.
There is a difference with handbrake sensors for 04/05, or just 05, but I don't remember exactly what.
Do you recall the wire colors? Last night I unplugged a white clip that had two wires near a cluster of other wire clips in the location you're saying, but the wires were both black. I never put them together, just unplugged, ran it, didn't see any difference and plugged it back in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Connecting the two wires at the parking brake didn't change anything either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know nearly as much about this stuff as many other guys, but I recently had issues similar to yours that ended up being a poor air filter guide seal. It was weird because it ran fine for months after I got it, then suddenly on the first cold day started acting up. If you have a stock airbox, might be worth looking at making sure the air filter guide is very tightly sealed against the intake. There's supposed to be much more foam than is on my old filter.
filter 1.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know nearly as much about this stuff as many other guys, but I recently had issues similar to yours that ended up being a poor air filter guide seal. It was weird because it ran fine for months after I got it, then suddenly on the first cold day started acting up. If you have a stock airbox, might be worth looking at making sure the air filter guide is very tightly sealed against the intake. There's supposed to be much more foam than is on my old filter.
View attachment 139983
Okay, this is probably the most worn down part on my bike. The gasket is real bad and the guide itself doesn't really fit well against the intake anymore. I'll look into a new one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Okay, this is probably the most worn down part on my bike. The gasket is real bad and the guide itself doesn't really fit well against the intake anymore. I'll look into a new one.
Definitely worth a look. I got my air filter guide from partzilla and it took 2 or 3 business days to get here. Let us know either way if it works

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely worth a look. I got my air filter guide from partzilla and it took 2 or 3 business days to get here. Let us know either way if it works
I'll probably make an attempt at creating my own gasket before I buy the partzilla one for $45 lol. Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh also, do you know how wide that strip of foam is on the new one? Mine is flat and almost gone in spots but I want to know how thick a piece I should try to put on.

·
Master of the Electron
15,316 Posts
1) 05 doesn't have a parking brake RPM limiter in the stock CDI, so that should NOT be your issue - but what year/make of CDI do you have now?
2) If you can EVER get to higher than just above idle RPM it is not likely the reverse or parking brake limiter - and AFAIK, aftermarket CDIs don't have thee limiters.
3) You must test with the air filter and airbox lid in place (unless you are jetted for no lid) or you will see similar symptoms to yours.
4) There is no way to generate a spark with your meter, unless you had a meter probe incorrectly plugged into the current (Amp) jack on your multimeter - and if you did, in the process of sparking, you have now blown a fuse in the meter. Regardless, this would be very unlikely a cause of your symptoms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey everyone, weird frustrating issue I've been chasing for weeks. 2005 660r.

I started the bike up to prep for desert season, new gas, charged the battery, cleaned air filter, oil, etc.
It ran great, fired right up and rode like it did when I put it away. (Yes I drained the carb before storage). I brought it out to the desert the following weekend and put my volt meter to the battery before trying not start it, I just wanted to make sure it held it's voltage. There was a small arc when I put the meter probes to the battery terminals and then it was very hard to start. I ended up bump starting it and when it finally started it sputtered and popped like crazy. It was ridable for the day but it never cleared up. I didn't think much of the slight arc when I was using my volt meter. I cleaned the carb, didn't help. I replaced the carb, no change besides a slightly smoother idle. Since then I've replaced the CDI, the starter relay, spark plug, coil, new air filter... No change. I checked the fuel hose, the petcock/tank filter, all was clear and clean.
When it's choked, it revs better but still backfires. When it's hot and unchoked, it starts to rev good but will not hold it's rpm when wide open, it bounces off the top.
Revs pretty good when I cover one side of the intake in the air box, but some fuel shoots into the air box when I do that.
Once I get it to rev cleanly without the choke, as soon as I put in gear and try to ride it, it wants to fall on it's face. It will roll around but when pushing the throttle more than a quarter, it loses it all and I have to pull in the clutch and gently rev it to keep it alive. Bike is stock besides a big gun evo r slip on exhaust that has been on it for years.

I'm running out of ideas here! I'm becoming more and more convinced it's an electrical issue.
Did you Figure anything out yet?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pulled the parking brake off of my '01 Raptor, going to follow the sensor unplugging instructions from you all. Also, peeled off the old foam from the AF guide using a utility knife, got it down to clean white plastic, going to install my own foam ring sealing it back up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts