Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon guys, this is my first post here and I thought I'd share some pics of the engine of my new raptor. I'll give a short history of the this Raptor,

My friend bought it brand new (2006 Special Edition). It's got an aftermarket intake (not sure on the brand), full GYT-R exhaust, K&N Air filter, a Power Commander, 2 inch wider (4 inches total) control arms, and aftermarket handlebars. He let a friend borrow it, and it came back with the engine locked up.

I paid $1000 bucks for it, figuring it was going to be a disaster after I tore it apart.. Well, it is. It looks like I'll be saving for a big bore kit soon. Any suggestions on what to get, and also what else to look for when I pull the engine the rest of the way out are welcome. Also, suggestions on pulling the pivot bolt out would be great. It's all I have left to pull the engine out. :D

The head looks good, but the cylinder is trashed, along with the connecting rod and I'm sure the camshaft needs to be replaced as well. It's scarred on the one side that I can see. I may wind up replacing the valves as well, you can see where they touch the piston on the piston, but there are no marks on the valves themselves. Anyways, enjoy the pics. :wow:

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
The good news is you'll have a really fast $4000 quad when it's all said and done. A quad that poorly cared for my have destroyed engine bearings, transmission, etc. I'd crack the case tear it down and start from scratch. That's just me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's why I went ahead and bought it. I figured I would come out ahead on it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
whats the story on why it locked up? What was the friend of a friend doing when it locked up?

·
Registered
415 Posts
you may have to put a crank on the list. might as well stroke it while your at it. with a bb too it'll be a beast. the entire bottom end should be checked out real good though. gears, shims, other bearings could all be shot. so a used engine may be needed, which pop up on here every now and then and you need to jump on them quick.

good luck with the rebuild, and post us on the progress. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
+5 hotrods crank,resleeve with high compression cp,x4,t-rex port with bigger valves,kibble white springs,and set of duals and you got your self one bad azz bike..good luck
IF YOUR NOT SPLITTING THE CASE YOUR SELF,FIND A REPUTABLE SHOP......

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
How soon you wanna rebuild. I'm bout to tear down my 734 I'm selling head cylinder stock crank it's a bored sleeved jug. I'm going to a 778 so all that goes I just gotta go take it apart it's in good shape runs great I just wanna go from 70hp to 80+

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not for sure how long it'll be. It'll probably be a month or 2. I'm selling one of my trucks before I'll have the money to fix it. I've got a wife and 4 kiddos, so money is tight. I have been looking at a 780cc stroker kit (new crank, rod, cylinder head and top end Cometic gasket set for $900 on ebay. I figured I'd be researching it since I have some time before I'll have the money. Also, will I need any special tools other than a flywheel puller to split the case??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I want to run it on pump gas, so I want to keep the compression ratio low enough to do so. It will mainly be played with in the trails and some local playing around the property and maybe an occasional trip to the dunes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts