Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to the raptor world as well as this forum. Not new to the world of off roaders (have other bikes).
Buying used, and of course I'm on a budget. I am huge on maintnance and that will be the first thing I try to get a "feel" for when looking at used raptors (2001-04 660's). I know I should obviously watch for high abuse and obvious things like that, but I wanted to ask all you raptor guys exactly what I should look for...I know just about every machine I have owned has its "flaws". I have done a good amount of reading on this forum and know so far that if I buy an 01 I really need to watch out for the tranny. I'm hoping maybe you guys can help me with exactly what I should be "feeling" for when it comes to that. I know I should shift it through the gears and feel for anything wierd while riding (as well as reverse), but anything beyond that?
I have many different 01-04 raptor 660's I'm wanting to go look at as soon as I get time, maybe you guys wanna check a few out? I'm really hoping for a stock one but not completely set on it.

This 04 is one up on the top of my list, although price is just outa range
http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/2142283717.html
Looks like a very low hour bike according to the "boot wear spot" above the pegs and overall condition

This is an 01 (which I am scared to death to buy an 01 after reading here)
but its the color I want, and I could get it for 2K which I really like...
http://roseburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2129052281.html

This is an 04, I like the year and even the price, but it doesn't really look the best of taken care of, but hey who knows pictures suck
http://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/2165526775.html

I have about 15 others, most are 01 raptors...so, help me out, if I buy an 01 what should I really watch for? Should I pay the extra $500 for an 02-newer even if it seems to have more hours than some of the 2001's?

Thank you guys in advance I really appriciate any and all advice!

·
Registered
866 Posts
I see you are in Oregon and there are some good priced 660s around and you can really get people down on the price these days, I would say just stay away from the 01's you're most likely going to be putting that extra money down for a new tranny. That last 04' one I would stay away from looks like it's been sitting in the rain has duct take over the exhaust, pretty bad, here are some nice one's I've seen

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/mcy/2189635670.html
A little expensive but awesome condition

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/2186040941.html
looks pretty nice

There are a lot on Portland craigslist

p.s some of the links are deleted so I couldn't look at them...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I'm pretty confident I have seen every raptor on craigslist in Oregon, problem is, I can't really spend more than $2200 unless I wait a couple weeks to buy one and well, who likes waiting right?
So stay away from the 01 completely...even if the gears have been replaced such as this one?
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/2187782295.html
I like that price much better...

This is another 01 I have been strugling to stay away from
http://eugene.craigslist.org/rvs/2171037548.html

Out of ceriousity...can anyone that has completed the transmission upgrade on an 01 to a newer year transmission that can tell me how much it ended up costing them?
Anyone know the syptoms (early signs maybe?) of the 01 tranny getting close to its end?
What is different from the 01 tranny to the 02-newer one?
Sorry for all the questions but I'm cerious and like details :), thanks again!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Okay thats about the price range I was working with when I was looking for my Raptor, and I got my 2003 660 for $2250, and the gear upgrade I'm not sure because I've never done it so I don't know if he did 01 gears or 02' and above?? After 02' the transmissions don't have problems more than any other bike. Even if someone's asking $2500 and you show up and offer him $2200 theres a good chance he's going to take it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay thats about the price range I was working with when I was looking for my Raptor, and I got my 2003 660 for $2250, and the gear upgrade I'm not sure because I've never done it so I don't know if he did 01 gears or 02' and above?? After 02' the transmissions don't have problems more than any other bike. Even if someone's asking $2500 and you show up and offer him $2200 theres a good chance he's going to take it.
Ya 03 for 2250 is a great deal (considering condition of course), thats what I'm looking for.
And yes I agree, if its at 2500 you can usually start at 2100 :)
but the ones that are like 2800+...I would have to wait a couple weeks and then use money I shouldn't:eek:
unfortunately, I'm willing :grin_nod:

but this guy could very well take 2200, haven't got a call back yet
http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/2167390413.html
but I like this one, looks to be in great condition and all stock with paddles

·
Registered
866 Posts
Ya 03 for 2250 is a great deal (considering condition of course), thats what I'm looking for.
And yes I agree, if its at 2500 you can usually start at 2100 :)
but the ones that are like 2800+...I would have to wait a couple weeks and then use money I shouldn't:eek:
unfortunately, I'm willing :grin_nod:

but this guy could very well take 2200, haven't got a call back yet
http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/2167390413.html
but I like this one, looks to be in great condition and all stock with paddles
Yeah you can always scrape a little money together :D That one in Philomath looks nice I like the red frame and white plastics, sounds like you'll get a good deal, and if you want I'm always looking for more people to ride with, once my bike's back together.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Haven't priced it in a while, but if I remember it was something like 600 bucks to do the trans parts swap by the time you sealed the engine back up.

The 01s had the trans issues, 02 and up were all fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cool thanks for the info guys. Ya we will have to do some riding this summer maybe!
I'm going to do some searching and try to put some knowledge in my head as to what exactly was wrong with the 01 trannys...if anyone has a link to further explanation that would be cool too :)

EDIT: found it. Here it is for any future searchers http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44659

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really starting to have some problems deciding on what I want...
Out of all the quads I have owned and or ridden, I notice the wider the better...

So I started searching just to make sure this 660 wasnt too narrow when its stock, I think it might be. I have read a couple reviews that talk about the "body roll" compared to bikes such as the 450's. This of course means it flips over easier (in basic terms)

So a stock 660 has a width of 43.3 inches and a wheelbase of 49". I have been kinda thinking about going with a predator 500...its width is 47.5" at 50.5" wheelbase.

I know I know, this is a raptor forum so shut up about polaris, but I really want some input from you raptor riders...does it feel a little quick to roll on its side at stock width? I know there are many options for widening, although I don't want to spend the money nor do the modifications which is why I'm starting to think...maybe a predator...anyone know the reliability difference between the raptor 660 (02-04) and a 06/07 predator?
How about the difference in parts costs or technicality of rebuilding it incase the time ever comes? Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Get the rappy, spend around $350 more for extended a-arms and you won't be dissapointed (even better, look for one with extended arms already - you will pay very little for them as already installed mods). There are many around for sale with these mods already and the owners are lucky to get one quarter of the cost of mods when selling. Buyers are comparing to that lower price down the street, not how many mods it has.

You may notice that I have a Polaris also, and will not bash them... but I am familiar with the Predator and can tell you with no uncertainty, it is no Raptor. Once you have widened the Raptor it is fantastic!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Polaris, it makes me think of the dumpster where Arctic Cat throws it garbage, years ago I heard that Polaris scoot across the lake to get Cats junk, so they can build their sleds...............:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Polaris, it makes me think of the dumpster where Arctic Cat throws it garbage, years ago I heard that Polaris scoot across the lake to get Cats junk, so they can build their sleds...............:D:D:D:D
you know Willy ski-doo is still the best lol!! How is the riding up there?its been awesome here in Northern Wisconsin!! 2000 miles and still counting for the season!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok great, thats what I needed, someone (or 5) to help me talk me out of it :)
I know better, I don't know what I was thinking...
raptor here I come :)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
you know Willy ski-doo is still the best lol!! How is the riding up there?its been awesome here in Northern Wisconsin!! 2000 miles and still counting for the season!!!
You mean BOMB ardier, sledding is getting better, I was up in the Chicoutimi area last week for a few days, the trails were like highways, you got to run this #83 trans quebec, over a hundred miles long, 30 feet wide, and super twisty and up and down hills, I broke the speedometer several times on that trail.........

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Hey, nothing wrong with BRP products, IMO! (look left to see one) :D

How's your shoulder handling the long snow rides?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The shoulder is great, the right wrist is bad.................

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
ok great, thats what I needed, someone (or 5) to help me talk me out of it :)
I know better, I don't know what I was thinking...
raptor here I come :)
Welcome aboard!!! Try to get a 02 or newer 660. I have a 01 because I can build engines and spend $2,000.+++ on engine upgrades for my toy. Try to find a ride with low miles that hasent ben screwed with. A-arm mods are a great find. Engine mods could be trouble. The 01s do have a inferior tranny that can be rebuilt for $600 plus. You must know by now that these things continualy cost$$$. As for sleds- Yamahas 500 2stroke VMax is mean.:eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yup planning on 02 or newer, there are some 01's that claim newer gears so If I believe the person I may buy an 01. However if I do end up getting hosed and get an 01 tranny I can swap it no problem, would rather not spend the money but I am capable of doing the job

I'm still disapointed in the raptors width though...I mean come-on, its only 3/4" wider than a warrior, and most that have ridden a stock warrior (myself included, I owned one) know that even with the 350 engine its still too narrow and will dump on its side first chance it gets. That being said...first and probably only mods I will do is the a arm extenders (I will use the kit with the brackets...might just fab up my own actually) and I'm debating on either the lonestar +3-+6 adjustable or the durablu +4, leaning towards the lonestar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts