Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All right so i have a raptor 660 and i might start racing next year any advice or stuff i should add to the quad. So far i have a metal skid plate on the whole bottom a arms and all ,a metal front grab bar ,a oem exhaust ,brand new big bore kit on it making it a 686cc,and a new exhaust manifold heat shield ,and aftermarket tires . also what category would i go in im 16 and have a big bore raptor 660 ,and what type of races should i go on edit: yea i got nerf bars too

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
That big bore isnt going to help as much as it would without a nice exhaust, intake and jet kit as far as power goes. For racing the suspension should be setup before power mods.. Doesnt matter how much power you have if you can't use it. You need nice shocks, setup for your weight and riding style/terrain

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill make sure i get a good suspension setup fox maybe? the exhaust on it rn is a lexx slip on and by jettting it should i put a bigger carb or what do you mean?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If you trail ride, you would be better off doing Hare Scrambles/XC cross country, instead of MX/motocross.
The 450's are the MX race bikes, and some track districts have an open class/run what ya brung class, so you could race against anything in that.
ill make sure i get a good suspension setup foxracing maybe? the exhaust on it rn is a lexx slip on and by jettting it should i put a bigger carb or what do you mean?
Search Clear Tube Method in the 660 Stickies and start reading.
The carbs are the same, but pilot jets, main jets, and needle positions all change.

Also search for Suspension Sag, which is proper shock setup per rider and application.
Start reading on that too.

Come back with questions after and we'll help explain it all.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If you try to compete against 450's in MX...it's going to be an uphill battle.
Ultimately, it's all in the rider, but the 450's will outhandle and outcorner the 660.
The 660 is a great trail machine, and is better suited for XC.

·
Registered
507 Posts
All right so i have a raptor 660 and i might start racing next year any advice or stuff i should add to the quad. So far i have a metal skid plate on the whole bottom a arms and all ,a metal front grab bar ,a oem exhaust ,brand new big bore kit on it making it a 686cc,and a new exhaust manifold heat shield ,and aftermarket tires . also what category would i go in im 16 and have a big bore raptor 660 ,and what type of races should i go on edit: yea i got nerf bars too
GNCC style cross county/hare scramble racing is a blast. Below is a good set up video if you are interest. My channel has tons of racing info and videos. Give it a shot, you will have a blast!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for the help i have a list of stuff im going too add and fix up.i've contacted a mechanic who's going to help me with the suspension stuff again thanks guys!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GNCC style cross county/hare scramble racing is a blast. Below is a good set up video if you are interest. My channel has tons of racing info and videos. Give it a shot, you will have a blast!

thank you man i was already subscribed and you made me want to race thanks for the advice.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,549 Posts
Before spending a lot of money on shocks, contact our shock guru, Kevin, aka JOGACA. Someone can pipe in with his number. If not, I'll get it later.
Talk to him for his recommendation and prices. His advice is free. Best time to call is the evening.

Just a word of caution,,, if you spend a lot of money on shocks and other upgrades, you might not get that money back when time to sell the bike.

Reactions: Nixon cole

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
+1
04-05 yfz450 front shocks.
And you will need a relife cut made below the shock mount on each 660 A-arm, so the lower shock mount fits in and the bolt holes line up.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,549 Posts
Before spending a lot of money on shocks, contact our shock guru, Kevin, aka JOGACA.
Kevin
480 262 3216
Best time to call is in the evening.

Reactions: Nixon cole

·
Registered
26 Posts
as stated SUSPENSION is key for racing, you can all the power in the world but if you cant put it to the ground and stay stable and fast when needed its worthless, if you have the funds figure out if the class you race has any width restrictions if not and depending on type of racing you are doing go long/wide travel arms and axle and then get shocks for those setups to your style and weight

1 - 13 of 13 Posts