Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of modifications to make a Raptor ready for MX use I finally, got to the last big issue... the steering.

At home we have an trx450r and a gasgas300 wild. Both quads is the steering
a lot better. The raptor just won't go round within a radius of a couple of hundred meters... :horse:

When I see the gasgas300 take a corner... without spinning the rear wheels off course it just needs 3 tot 4 meters to turn.. the raptor needs twice the width of that.

Allready thought about modifying the part of where the steering rods are connected. Cut it and extend it, so with the same angle from your handlebar it should be resulting in less turning radius.

Do you guy's have any experience with this? Anyone has an better option/idea? Just to improve the cornering/steering.

Thanx, Ard

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
The GasGas is a light quad. And the 450R is lighter than the Raptor. Maybe that could have something to do with it. IMO You should get a CCP, Elka, Precision, or GPR steering stabilizer:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GasGas is a light quad. And the 450R is lighter than the Raptor. Maybe that could have something to do with it. IMO You should get a CCP, Elka, Precision, or GPR steering stabilizer:thumbsup:
The angle of the wheels seems to be a bigger issue... weight of the gasgas300 is 160kg.. dry weight.. without 21 liter petrol / 1l oil / 1l water... not really a lightweight quad. :p

Allready got a steering stabilizer... Reiger! the best you can get...haha! (it's dutch). But a steering stabilizer doesn't improve the steering radius. ;)

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
The raptor is longer than most other sport quads. Even a little makes a big difference. It's not necessarily the best MX quad but some guys use it for dirt track racing and shorten the swingarm -1 or -2. And I don't know anything about the reiger stabilizer but the elka and precision are the best in America. They don't stiffen the steering at all so you wont even know it's there. Unlike a stick type that gets stiff as you increase the settings.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
The angle of the wheels seems to be a bigger issue... weight of the gasgas300 is 160kg.. dry weight.. without 21 liter petrol / 1l oil / 1l water... not really a lightweight quad. :p

Allready got a steering stabilizer... Reiger! the best you can get...haha! (it's dutch). But a steering stabilizer doesn't improve the steering radius. ;)
Nice cow. I thought the GasGas is about 365lbs wet.

·
*Woo Woo!*
621 Posts
The raptor is longer than most other sport quads. Even a little makes a big difference. It's not necessarily the best MX quad but some guys use it for dirt track racing and shorten the swingarm -1 or -2. And I don't know anything about the reiger stabilizer but the elka and precision are the best in America. They don't stiffen the steering at all so you wont even know it's there. Unlike a stick type that gets stiff as you increase the settings.
You can definately notice the steering is different with a precision, I even have mine set pretty low and its night and day from steering with no stabilizer.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Is it? I haven't actually used one yet unfortunately. Everybody tells me how they don't get stiff like a stick type though. I got rid of my stick type for that reason. Hopefully I'll get this extra axcaliber axle I have sold so I can get one! ;)

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts

Ard, I got the drop steering flag from ARS FX (ZBroz Racing) and then I ground about 1/8" off the stop on each side this helped alot with the turn radius and bump steer. Here's a link to a used one! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARS-FX-Steering-Stem-Post-Shaft-Flag-YFZ450-YFZ-450-700-/190447493745?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_ Or you can go right to ZBroz Racing http://www.zbrozracing.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_23_83_131&products_id=32

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ard, I got the drop steering flag from ARS FX (ZBroz Racing) and then I ground about 1/8" off the stop on each side this helped alot with the turn radius and bump steer. Here's a link to a used one! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARS-FX-Steering-Stem-Post-Shaft-Flag-YFZ450-YFZ-450-700-/190447493745?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_ Or you can go right to ZBroz Racing http://www.zbrozracing.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_23_83_131&products_id=32
Thanx! That's what I also wanted to do myself... but didn't know the consequences/result's of it.

I know that it isn't possible to get the same result's than competition quads... but every bit I can get closer to it would be nice.

About Reiger, it's an Dutch suspension factory. Lot of guy in Holland drive on Ohlins (the best you can get) or Reiger's (little les money). But the Fox float is now more and more seen on the tracks.
Reiger only has an stick type steering stabilizer, cost about 390 dollar. A precision cost about 730 dollar (dutch prices). From the stick type steering stabilizer it's the best you can get. I Don't have any experience with other types. Most MX guy's in Holland drive with an Reiger steering stabilizer.

The reiger steering stabilizer is twice the size of all other stick type stabilizers, but hardly indestructible. But also purple.. :rolleyes: I'll post some pictures when I @ home again.

Gasgas300 wild spec:
Dry Weight LBS 376.00.
Raptor 700 spec:
Wet Weight LBS 422
Just about the same weight... my back is telling me the same story when I try to lift one. (yeah I know it has wheels to roll)
Wheelbase is just about the same. 50,4" = raptor vs 50,5" = gasgas300

·
6,925 Posts
Thanx! That's what I also wanted to do myself... but didn't know the consequences/result's of it.

I know that it isn't possible to get the same result's than competition quads... but every bit I can get closer to it would be nice.

About Reiger, it's an Dutch suspension factory. Lot of guy in Holland drive on Ohlins (the best you can get) or Reiger's (little les money). But the Fox float is now more and more seen on the tracks.
Reiger only has an stick type steering stabilizer, cost about 390 dollar. A precision cost about 730 dollar (dutch prices). From the stick type steering stabilizer it's the best you can get. I Don't have any experience with other types. Most MX guy's in Holland drive with an Reiger steering stabilizer.

The reiger steering stabilizer is twice the size of all other stick type stabilizers, but hardly indestructible. But also purple.. :rolleyes: I'll post some pictures when I @ home again.

Gasgas300 wild spec:
Dry Weight LBS 376.00.
Raptor 700 spec:
Wet Weight LBS 422
Just about the same weight... my back is telling me the same story when I try to lift one. (yeah I know it has wheels to roll)
Wheelbase is just about the same. 50,4" = raptor vs 50,5" = gasgas300
I have Ohlins TTX shocks on mine and love them! IMO they are about the best you can buy!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have Ohlins TTX shocks on mine and love them! IMO they are about the best you can buy!
Did you made those adaptor mountings yourself? Of is it possible to buy those? I also tried to make them myself... :rolleyes: But i'm having problems with my front lights now.

·
6,925 Posts
Did you made those adaptor mountings yourself? Of is it possible to buy those? I also tried to make them myself... :rolleyes: But i'm having problems with my front lights now.
I built those myself, I have the pattern I can send you a copy if you want. Mine almost touch the lights.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Woods you mind sending me a copy of that pattern? What length shocks are you running?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts