Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know from my past post my header mount is broke and i must get the head off and to the machine shop. I done most of the basic thangs. plastic,gastank,carbs,exhust uninstalled. I also drain the oil but have yet to pull the oil lines off and drain cooling system. MY next steps are to drain coolent,, disconnect oil/cooling line. remove valve covers and start unbolting the top half. I am a newbi to atv maintance and repair but I have cought on pretty quick and learn alot in the manule since i been a member here and have done small maintnace like oil/plug change ,filter cleaning,gas tank cleaning, changing rims, sprockets. I have goton my self very familure with the raptor but am still a newbi and this will be my first small engine ever into. I have the tools and torque wrench to do the job. The best way of learning is to do it and thats what i been doing and takeing advice from you all. Any tips on my adventure comeing up?

two question should i use anythang to help lube any bolts before trying to untightin them? My quad is a 03 .. previoulesy stolen from me and i know the top end has been into atleast once so should i consider replaceing any bolts?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok after a pain in butt i got the valve/cam cover off. I ran into a snag when a allen bolt hesatated and rounded off on inside. Took about 2hrs runing to town and back and trying differnt thangs. I finally used a standered size allen head just a tad bigger than the metric one and hamered it into the bolt and finally it gave and broke free. I could not find the right kinda tap in town what type of tap, ezout out would one use if something happen again like this and im not so lucky? I will for sure buy new bolts to go back in. I found discoloraiton of one of the exhust springs. sorta redish color in onr part. Also the header gasket on this valve was burnt to hell and back compared to the other side which was also in need of replacement. everythang has been tag/baged and maped out .. My next steps are to take cam chain off and the head castings Hope all will go well and will report back findings. Can someone tell me how i can tell if i got aftermarket cam?

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you have my kind of luck I would invest in a tap and dye set, its worth the money especially if your impatient like I am and tend to strip bolts and round them off, it saves me a hell of a lot of time and headache.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I need to invest in a good drill and tap and drill bit sets. I had some headachs with the header stud / topend allen bolts and all of the carb screws. Maybe I get one for x-mas and start working on some my own man maid broke bolts to learn some taping out knowledge incase I will need it in the future. Be nice to take a class that teachs bolt extraction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts