Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2007 Raptor 700. Had it imported to Germany (military man), and spent a butt-load on gear, bolt ons ie... Nerf bars, new heel guards, gytr bumper, pro armour rear grab bar, gncc tires and black oem wheels. I wanted to spruce it up a bit so I can get a good return when I sell it. The quad was a repo and it came naked. Engine is clea and runs perfect. The market in Germany is hot for these things. Anyways, my question is, was it worth it add all of these options for future resale and to increase its value. My quad is at the port getting delivered to me next week, but the wifey is fuming over the expenditure. So far I spent: $4200 for 2007 Rappy + $200 for my buddy to pick it up for me and drive it to the port + $565 on black OEM rims/gncc tires shipping included(wanted to upgrade the 2007 look to the 2008 > newer Rappy looks) + $225 shipping included DG Alloy black nerf bars + $90 Pro design Flow Air filter + $55 stock heel guards with mounting hardware +$210 on goggles, gloves, helmet, suit, boots. spent $1580 to have it shipped to Germany to my house and $350 for Euro custom fees. So as you see a butt-load of money. The resale of these in Germany are unreal. So I figured that I should be able to unload this thing for a decent price and get some of my money back when I want to sale it. i know that if I bought a 2008 and newer Rappy, it would have came with a lot of things things already, plus better shocks. Will adding the piggyback or resi shocks help me increase the over value as well? I plan on selling it when I leave here. I don't want to add any engine mods like big three, exhaust, etc.. Just cosmetic items.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
You will never recoup your money with aftermarket parts. Most of the time the best way to sell these things is bone stock, and sell all your aftermarket stuff separate. And since you got an air filter, you should really think about purchasing a fuel controller or you are going to be running it very lean. Or just keep the stock filter on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured that, but unlike the US where there are many options to choose from, there is really no competition here. So any good quads go like hot cakes. Also due to the euro to dollar conversion rate, the Germans will get a hell of a deal. Rappy here on the economy are not cheap by far. And the prices are strictly in euro. There is no market to sell it piece by piece.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Yes these things will add value, but the value they add will almost always be significantly lower than the price you paid for them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree Mad dog. I just want to be able to sell it and recoup some of the expenditure that I have spent so far. Thought I would make my 07 Rappy more like the newer ones with some of the upgrades I have listed so far. The last thing I was contemplating was adding some used piggback or resi shocks. Cause the 07 still has pogos.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The rear won't matter as much, aside from slightly different settings and a split hi/lo compression setting vs the single compression setting they are the same.

The front piggyback OEM shocks would be a good upgrade both in terms of increasing the quality/value of the machine but also make your time with it more enjoyable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
mac, so what is the resale of a 07 raptor on the german market? are there any tracks or trails near your base? or is all street riding? or back roads ? its been a very, very long time since i was drunk in a german beer tent. back in the day if you moved the wrong dirt clod with your jumpboots , uncle sam had to write a check lol just wondering if there are offroad parks like we have in the u.s. in germany?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually yes, there are many trails, woodlands, and open farm land to rip up out here in Germany, believe it or not! I live in the "Eifel" area, and it is all farm land that used to be a volcanic region. So the land is pretty open, lush green, with a combination of hills, flats, and woods. In my village, yes I said village, there are guys whom ride dirt bikes, quads, etc.. So it is a pretty good time. I felt like the kid whom couldn't leave the porch when I first got here. So I had to go on leave and purchase a quad in the U.S. The problem with buying one here is finding one. The military community is pretty large here with a multitude of bases spread out all over Germany. and we have several web classified sites like CL, only for the military community. People scroll these sites everyday all day, including local nationals looking for some sweet deals. There was a 660 Rappy that popped up a few months back, and it was sold literally within hours after being posted. Right now there are several ads being posted stating that guys want to buy quads. So it is a buyers market here. Unlike the U.S., there is really no competition or variety to choose from. As far as the Germans go, everthing is taxed 19% called VAT. So anytime an American sells something for $, then the conversion rate is in their favor. Right now one euro buys like $1.33 dollars. So when you sell let's say a Rappy for $5000. That is only around 3000 euros to a German. If they bought the same Rappy used on the German local economy, then it would cost almost twice that. The only reason that I did not want to start adding the Big 3 or any engine mods, was I did not want to scare potential buyers away by doing engine mods. I just wanted to make my 07 Rappy look like a 08 > newer version. Plus if a German bought this from me, then they would have to get it registered and inspected on the local economy, which is very strict about emissions, aftermarket parts, etc.. Plus the taxes they charge for those items if you can register it. Sorry for being long winded. That is why I was considering of adding the resi used shocks over my now pogo shocks. But didn't know if this would significantly increase my quad value or make a noticeable difference if I am just trail riding. Wifey is pretty fed up with all that I have spent so far.

·
Registered
311 Posts
put your butt on it and ride like stole ,forget resale,spent and enjoy,life is only one.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
So she is the reason your selling it. I can understand you want the bitchin to stop...poor guy. If these sell so good just ask a hefty price so you come clean and have some extra dough to spend some on her and some on you. Or get revenge just put it on the side and she will buy something stupid then you can start up on her and be fed up! See if she likes the other side of the story.

But thats me im mean like that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fast frenchie, you are hilarious, LOL!!! She's not that bad. I just want to sell this thing when the time comes and be able to make some of my money back that's all. And I wanted to see if adding these things were justifiable.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Bah i say they never are. Same goes for a car when you sell it back for a down payment on a new one. All that you put on it goes bye bye. Sure it looks good adds that personality and makes it your own but in the long run you loose. If everything you stated is newly installed and you can prove it then charge some extra bucks.

No bad puns intended on your loved one i usually cand take the nagging and they get the boot. Not married, no kids so take the door. I just cant stand it. Im really easy going but when i put my foot down it stays down it dosent happen often but when it does shnitt insues. Im a freakin teddy bear i hate myself sometimes sure is fun to get bj's tough LMAO.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Bah im sure your going to get your money back! Just dont tell her that, so you can spend some of it on yourself LOL.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally Pics of my Rappy

Just got my Rappy in this weekend, here are a few pics as promised. Pics are a little dark in the garage. Also I want to give a shout out to a few members whom have helped me out. Stuckey, FL Woods, and Mad Dog, and nuttier than ever Fast Frenchie just to name a few. Even though I am halfway around the world from the continental U.S., I still get support/help from you guys here on this forum! Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
looks really really good man

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Thats a real nice looking rappy...Way to go! Your going to sell that thing im sure and it will be quick...How could it not come on look at that masterpeice. Nice!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Just chain it somewhere and put a sign on it for sale. Pouf its sold...just keep it clean...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Nice looking bike, Good luck with whatever you decide to do with her..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts