Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I have a bit of an issue with my 2011 Rappy. I feel that the front end pops up way to easy when going over rough terrain, especially when doing hill climbs. I put my big butt forward as far as I can go and lean into the handle bars but she still likes to come up. I feel like since I installed my ITP 20's in the rear and 22's in the front this issue has surfaced, I did not have this problem with the stock wheels and tires on. Yesterday I actually had a little accident on a small hill climb, near the top my front wheels came off the ground and I could not steer away from a small tree. I hit the tree with the side of the right tire and clipped the handle grip causing me to stall. I tried to backed it down the hill but when my rear wheels hit the bottom she tipped backwards on me. Thankfully I just sprained my wrist, and scratched the plastic a little on the bike.
I was wondering if I should try adjusting the suspension or is there something else I can do to help keep the front down on hill climbs?
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
I think I'm going to invest in a stablizer for next spring too.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Well always remember that hill climbs are where most of the accidents happen! I actually steer clear of most of them. And Sticking my chest out thinking I'm a badass rider usually just gets me in trouble. Let the other dipshits screw up their bikes!
And yes there is a lot you should do to set up your suspension! Check out this thread as it really helped me! Now keep in mind this thread is for raptor's with shocks that aren't quite as advanced as yours are! This thread only talks about shocks with one compression setting so you will just have to adjust your compression to your liking! http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9697

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
By putting 22" front tires on the bike you've changed the COG, and put the nose of the machine farther into the air. A 1/2" might not seem like much, but when you're teetering on the edge of balance on a hill climb it can be a lot. Also, it's quite possible the new rear tires grip better than the stock ones did, and that same amount of throttle now sends the nose skyward instead of inducing more wheel spin as the stockers did.

Making alterations to the suspension, specifically lowering front preload to drop ride height and stiffening the rear shock's compression and/or preload should help some.

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
By putting 22" front tires on the bike you've changed the COG, and put the nose of the machine farther into the air. A 1/2" might not seem like much, but when you're teetering on the edge of balance on a hill climb it can be a lot. Also, it's quite possible the new rear tires grip better than the stock ones did, and that same amount of throttle now sends the nose skyward instead of inducing more wheel spin as the stockers did.

Making alterations to the suspension, specifically lowering front preload to drop ride height and stiffening the rear shock's compression and/or preload should help some.
+1..I'd switch back to the stock tires if you have them or at least with a 21" or taller Rear tire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input!
I'll throw the stockers back on the front and see if it makes a difference if I get a chance before the harsh weather comes. If not I guess it will have to wait untill spring time. I'll read up on the suspension tuning and tweak it a little too. Any recomendations for a steering stablizer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts