Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought you guys would like an update on my recent project of installing shocks from a 2010 YFZ450X on my Raptor 700.

These shocks are considered to be some of the best stock shocks ever produced and I could not agree more. Kashima coated, High/Low speed compression adjustable and some of the smoothest shocks I have ever felt.

I wanted to upgrade my factory pogos but did not like the idea of the lower ride height that comes with standard YFZ shocks. My solution was a set of longer shocks from a 2010 YFZ450X.

Here is what I started with : Measured right under 17" eye to eye compared to the Raptor 16" and only about 2 hours of ride time.

Before shot :

Before measurement : 11 3/4" measured at the bottom of the front bumper.

The first thing I did was loosen the preload collars all the way to the top minus one full turn. The shocks literally fell into place. Bottom mounts are snug with no free play and the top mounts require one washer between the shock and frame much like early model YFZ shocks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After shots :

After measurements : Almost exactly 1/4" difference. 12" measured at the bottom of the front bumper.

·
Registered
332 Posts
nice! i have yfz shocks off an 04 or 05. lowered it some but so far has been fine. Best mod by far.

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
Thanks for sharing, good pics of the process.

How do the ball joint angles look at full travel?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fully compressed or at full droop?

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
Full droop, when the shocks are at their longest. I would expect them to be near or within the same range as the OEM shocks when fully compressed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not have any before photos of full droop, but here are a couple pics. Hope this helps :

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will really like the ride. Just make sure to install a washer in between the frame and the upper shock mount, just like any other yfz shock install.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
All I ride is the Trails and one or two laps on the track. I just sold my kfx450, I have alway loved the Raptors, In my 40's and riding like I am 20 beat me up. Thanks for the tips and Ride on. YOU NEED EYES FOR THE BEAST

·
Registered
558 Posts
I thought you guys would like an update on my recent project of installing shocks from a 2010 YFZ450X on my Raptor 700.

These shocks are considered to be some of the best stock shocks ever produced and I could not agree more. Kashima coated, High/Low speed compression adjustable and some of the smoothest shocks I have ever felt.

I wanted to upgrade my factory pogos but did not like the idea of the lower ride height that comes with standard YFZ shocks. My solution was a set of longer shocks from a 2010 YFZ450X.

Here is what I started with : Measured right under 17" eye to eye compared to the Raptor 16" and only about 2 hours of ride time.

Before shot :

Before measurement : 11 3/4" measured at the bottom of the front bumper.

The first thing I did was loosen the preload collars all the way to the top minus one full turn. The shocks literally fell into place. Bottom mounts are snug with no free play and the top mounts require one washer between the shock and frame much like early model YFZ shocks.

Have you tested to see if your shock will bottom out before your ball joints get into a bind. I believe you want your shock to be the limiting factor in your suspension travel and not the ball joints so when you reach your max travel the shock takes the force and not the ball joints which can easily break apart on a hard hit. I was just curious since your shock is considerably longer now that they will not be bottomed out before the ball joints are.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I installed the shocks, I had to lift up slightly on the lower a-arm. Maybe not an exact science, but that tells me that the shock reaches max droop before the arm/ball joint. I can not do much more as of right now, the arms are off and sold. Houser arms coming soon!

·
Registered
558 Posts
When I installed the shocks, I had to lift up slightly on the lower a-arm. Maybe not an exact science, but that tells me that the shock reaches max droop before the arm/ball joint. I can not do much more as of right now, the arms are off and sold. Houser arms coming soon!
Sweet. Sounds good man. I had a setup one time that the shocks were the wrong length and ran into a similar situation.

·
Registered
621 Posts
They look much better mate. Well done. :cool:

Where did you get your quad lift from?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made by Craftsman and I got them from Sears. I actually have two and they are great. Wheel changes and little projects like these are much easier.

Thanks for the compliments!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts