Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a tusk axle (used, in great condition and straight) and installed it on my 660. Once i got it installed I noticed the right side (brake rotor side) is about an inch wider than the left, measuring from the center of the machine. I used the same spacers on the hubs. I took many measurements and kept coming up with about an inch wider on the right side. So what i did is i changed the spacers on one side, and got it about 1/8 inch in difference. Am I overlooking something, or is this normal?? Just seems it should be equal. Any input appreciated, thanks

·
Master of the Electron
14,760 Posts
IIRC, you need to use two different size spacers to center it... this is so it can fit several different Yamaha quads. I hope someone who remembers better than I will chime in here.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Learning..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I recently purchased a tusk axle (used, in great condition and straight) and installed it on my 660. Once i got it installed I noticed the right side (brake rotor side) is about an inch wider than the left, measuring from the center of the machine. I used the same spacers on the hubs. I took many measurements and kept coming up with about an inch wider on the right side. So what i did is i changed the spacers on one side, and got it about 1/8 inch in difference. Am I overlooking something, or is this normal?? Just seems it should be equal. Any input appreciated, thanks
You got a banshee axle, they fit the raptor but there will be an offset............

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
You got a banshee axle, they fit the raptor but there will be an offset............
This is quite common, even to the point where I wonder if the manufacturer actually makes a separate part or ships the same part for all machines. At one time I looked deeper into this and recall finding some of the mfr part numbers are the same from 660 to banshee.

IME it's closer to 3/4", but I rode and raced with a banshee axle on my 660 for years, never had a problem or noticed any handling oddities.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I have the same issue and have been riding it this way for 2 years but I ordered mine from rockymountain.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
My lone star axle was like that and I couldn't figure out why either. I gave up on trying to figure it out and rode it. It was only a minor difference...didn't notice any riding or handling issues.

·
Master of the Electron
14,760 Posts
Damn, THAT is what it was... my memory sucks sometimes, LOL.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, thanks for the replys and answering my question. It looks like i will be able to play with the spacers to get it near centered and still be safe with enough spline in the hubs. Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts