Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a prm aluminum swingarm skid plate(.250) and it comes with 8mm bolts to install it with. The bolts that the stock skid plate connect to the swingarm with are 6mm bolts. It says it is recommended to retap the holes and use the bigger bolts. I just wanted to know what everyone that has this skid plate did? and Would it be alright to use the stock 6mm bolts on it? I dont want to drill and tap into the swingarm if i dont have to. thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't remember if my Pro Armor skids came with their own bolts or I used the stock ones, but I know I didn't tap new holes.
I would use the stock bolts (with bigger washers if you have to). If they somehow break free, that would be the time to drill and tap new holes as your threads would probably be screwed up.

Just my .02

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also have the PRM Z plate. I'm just going to use the 6mm bolts until one of them break off then I'll do the drill tap thing. So far so good though.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I went with the GYTR and had no problems. I highly recommend them. Good luck with the PRMs. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went with the GYTR swingarm skid also, no problems. I wouldn't tap them . If it is designed the way it should be the bolts should not be exposed enough to get caught on anything to break off.The GYTR only uses 4 bolts and that is plenty.I slide mine over rocks etc.. and no problems. good luck :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I have the .250 Zplate from PRM. I bought it about a year ago, and it didn't come with other bolts or instructions to upgrade. I did buy some other bolts of the same size, but greater hardness. No problems in a year of (rocky) use.

I do periodically check them for tightness, have found some loose from time to time.

G

·
I have full PRM skids and didnt worry about tapping the 6mm, so far so good. Throw it on and if you break em then worry about retapping it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
It has been several months since I installed my PRM swing arm skid plate, a-arm guards, and frame guard but I know I didn't retap anything. I do recall getting new bolts and washers from my local auto parts store when I did the install. Just recently a couple of bolts did fall out of my swing arm guard so I used lock-tight this time, so far so good. Good Luck.

·
Registered
899 Posts
MaxxRPM said:
I also have the PRM Z plate. I'm just going to use the 6mm bolts until one of them break off then I'll do the drill tap thing. So far so good though.
Thats just what I did and one did pop the head....so i drilled and tap for the 8mm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts