Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,,well thanks to a few fellas on here for hooking me up with some used parts,i got a great deal on an x4,pc3,full fmf exhaust,and hd springs to finish my build.
Installed hotrods +5 crank and cp 11.1 piston couple months ago.
I knew already about clearancing the rockers for the cam,but didn't know anything bout clearancing the head till i just tried putting it in and no go.so ive been researching on here for past hour and i did find where it said to grind a little,but i would really like to see a pic.The threads that had pics,on my end were just showing the photobucket logo.idk
also,i noticed the cam bearing closest to the sprocket has a little play in it,is this ok?? it is a used cam...and i also just read that u shouldnt go with anything less than 12.5 on an x4,am i really gonna notice a big difference?? had i known this before,i would have bought the 12.5.
And has anyone had problems with clearance on the piston with this cam?
Monday im gonna take the head to machine shop and have it hot tanked,then im gonna start the port work.wish me luck.
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE IM LEAVING OUT TO WATCH FOR WHILE IM WRAPPING THIS THING UP???? thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobodys got anything?? i am like in the middle of doing this right now...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...ya im stock bore too. and with gas prices so high,i couldn't ride if i had to buy race gas everytime.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any play in the bearings is a concern. Grinding the head only requires you to remove the lip just inside where the bearing sits, big enough to allow the lobe to slide through.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok,, i got the head ground down and the cam slides right in now..but now i have to figure out what to do bout this cam..great

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
What do you mean it has a little play in it? Like the race is loose aroung the cam? Or the bearing itself has slop in it like from side to side/ it feels loose?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you moving the bearing in a twisting side to side to get the play? There will be some movement this direction because of the size of the bearing, not much. What I use as a rule is it should be seen and not felt. You will have to press off the butterfly to change this bearing, if you don't have a way to index this, maybe you should call Megacycle and ask them for advice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
once the cam is in,there is no slop.but if i rock the bearing from top to bottom not installed,it has some play.its tight in the head tho.so im just gonna run with it. just got the head port done too.turned out pretty good. getting close

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anybody have a thought on valve clearance.since i bought this cam used,i didn't get the paper with it.is it still the standard .009-.015 ? also,i bought the pc3 used to and it didn't come with the cd for maps,do i need to order that cd from pc or can i do it without some way?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Intake = .005
Exhaust = .008

1 - 14 of 14 Posts