Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic says my 02' 660 will glow after about ten seconds or so even on a cold start. This is at idle. Am I way lean? It runs fine no problems whatsoever just a really hot exhaust. Is this normal?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is your Raptor all stock?

·
Registered
210 Posts
nate_4027 said:
No-
Big Gun pipe and header (jet coated)
Aluminum air box
High compression piston 11:1
It has other stuff but nothing done to it to affect the engine.
If you're running the stock jetting, it's definately lean. With those mods you should be somewhere in need of a 175/180 jet combo for anywhere near sea level.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
some companies make headers with mild steel, they tend to get hotter and glow.
But we'll look past that for a second,
clean the spark plug up with a brush, get all the carbon off and make it look like new, and put back in.
run the bike for about 5-10 minutes at idle.
pull the plug...if its white, gray, or glazed its too lean.. your air/fuel screws and/or pilot jets need adjusted/changed. these control your fuel load at 0 (idle) to 1/4 throttle.

If your bikes running ok at 1/4 to full throttle then we don't need to go there. If someone or you were to install an after market pipe with out jetting it from stock more than likely the motor would let you know (by the loud poping when you decelerate) that your jettings off. If you want to play it safe pop the plug after riding 1/2 to full throttle for a few minutes. white..ect. its lean.........black, ect. its rich......... ect..ect.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
If its doing it at idle then at least your idle circuit is lean. Get 25 pilots in both carbs if you don't have them and tweak your fuel screws out (richer).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figured that the engine was actually running rich by the plug being slightly darkened and smelling of fuel. Is it possible that there is fuel igniting in the header itself thats causing this glow? BTW the engine runs fine and has no popping or backfiring whatsoever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Honda 99 vtr 1000 Its a big twin with two 48MM carbs on it stock, and when it warms up and I leave the choke out too far and a little too long the pipe glows, the shop said it was just the fuel mixture too rich while warming up and still burning in the head pipe and to just push the choke in a little. which worked,
So I would agree with you that it's too rich, jmho.......... :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts