Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
That intake would need a programmer to prevent it from running to lean. As would all aftermarket intakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh ok same with k&Ns own thing they make as well, i see its not as big ID as the others? you cant just get a K&N filter :/

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Yeah, the K&N uses the smaller adaptor for some reason. But the Monster adaptor, and others, use the 3.5" with a true K&N filter. Not sure why K&N whimped out on theirs when they make bigger filters that fit. Why don't you want to do a programmer? Is it just the price?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well.. i dont want to screw anything up lol i need definate reliability.. i had a quad before with a carb n intake n everything, i had it jetted right but the intake valves kept going tight really fast and ended up needing a valve job, i dont have the right place n time to fool around with stuff. i go on trips for days n just dont want any issues..idk just sorta scared to mess with it lol

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
I have never had a problem with the valves going tight on me. It literally takes five minutes to hook up a fuel controller, and there are hundreds of maps floating around on here to help the process. I'd say get the controller, then take off your intake lid, and possible your exhaust baffle if you wish, and go from there. You will pick up a couple HP just from that. Then see if you want to go further. Did you torque your last valves to spec or just guess on them?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive never done the raptor its only been rode once..ever just got it a couple weeks ago as a leftover..my other quads a predator 500, did em 4 times n it needed a valve..so i got pissed n got a raptor haha but ima ride it awhile since its new and ill see what i get into i guess, just say for instance the intakes stock, does just a slip on pipe require programming, jsut gathering info for now

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with a slip-on pipe for the Raptor. It gives you about as much HP as removing the baffle from the stock pipe. Just a better sound. You can find good used full systems on here for cheap. I bought a full yoshi 6 months ago for $200 shipped. Just gotta keep your eyes out. As for a programmer with an exhaust, some people say yes, others say no. I say yes because these come lean from the factory for emissions purposes, and I wouldn't do anything to make it worse. JMO though. I paid way to much for my Raptor to do something stupid and blow my engine, lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly! im scared to death ill screw something up!! hah But thanks for all the help, i love the thing its awsome, i may just pull the baffle out n ride the shit out of it! lol pretty sure nothing i ride with willl give me any troubles as far as draggin, i beat my buds 525 outlaw with my predator so pretty sure i got em all covered!

·
Registered
701 Posts
You could also replace the stock intake filter with an after market filter. This would give you better filtering and they are way more durable as well. That's what I ran on both of my raptors until I started doing mods. Just a thought plus I just happen to have two of them for sale that have only been ridden on twice...:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts