Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post and after much searching I still have some questions about my intake options. At the moment all I have is a hmf slip on, dobeck controller and standard air intake. While researching I have found that foam filters tend to be the best for filtration and both the monster and trinity billet adapters are the best billet adapters due to them being 3.5" as opposed to just 3" for the pro design or gytr. I have also looked into the ehs lid and now I just need some help deciding what to go for.

I ride mostly trails and cop heaps of dust since I'm always at the back of the pack (the price I pay for being the only quad). Anyways I'm thinking of getting the monster intake with the foam wrap and replacing the stock lid with an ehs lid. I'm now worried that I could have too much filtration and won't have any reasonable gain in power.

One more question, with the foam wraps are both the filter and foam wrap oiled? Or just one?

Thanks in advance guys and I gota say that this is the best raptor forum by far. SO MUCH INFO HERE. I even bookmarked the advance search page lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys this is my first post and after much searching I still have some questions about my intake options. At the moment all I have is a hmf slip on, dobeck controller and standard air intake. While researching I have found that foam filters tend to be the best for filtration and both the monster and trinity billet adapters are the best billet adapters due to them being 3.5" as opposed to just 3" for the pro design or gytr. I have also looked into the ehs lid and now I just need some help deciding what to go for.

I ride mostly trails and cop heaps of dust since I'm always at the back of the pack (the price I pay for being the only quad). Anyways I'm thinking of getting the monster intake with the foam wrap and replacing the stock lid with an ehs lid. I'm now worried that I could have too much filtration and won't have any reasonable gain in power.

One more question, with the foam wraps are both the filter and foam wrap oiled? Or just one?

Thanks in advance guys and I gota say that this is the best raptor forum by far. SO MUCH INFO HERE. I even bookmarked the advance search page lol
I have the GYTR Foam filter and the K&N Pro Flow filter. I put the Foam on with my lid while riding the the dusty parts. If i were you I would get 2 filters. I know im not answering you q's but that my 2 cents.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So u use different filters depending on ur riding conditions? Never thought of doing that, I was thinking of only using the ehs lid when riding in dusty or wet trails and leave it off every other time. Or perhaps not worry about the filter wrap altogether? Too many choices :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
So u use different filters depending on ur riding conditions? Never thought of doing that, I was thinking of only using the ehs lid when riding in dusty or wet trails and leave it off every other time. Or perhaps not worry about the filter wrap altogether? Too many choices :(
Filter + Foam Wrap + Lid sounds like over kill to me but IDK

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's wat I was thinking. I might just stick with a foam filter on a billet adaptor with a outwears lid. But all opinions are welcome

·
Registered
728 Posts
Also have to take in consideration, if you restrict the air flow your map will be altered slightly. So drivability issues could arise restricting the intake after you do the adapter and say no lid and tuned for it. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also have to take in consideration, if you restrict the air flow your map will be altered slightly. So drivability issues could arise restricting the intake after you do the adapter and say no lid and tuned for it. Just something to think about.
That the pain with Power Commander, you gotta have a PC

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Amsoil air filters are the shit. Filter great then just blow it clean with air. Simple easy cleaning.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
If your just getting intake go FCI so it'll support your future mods and get it over with. I know the mod virus and you've got it. Intake or big 3 leads to piston leads to head to splitting the cases stroking it, and so on lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That the pain with Power Commander, you gotta have a PC
This was one of the reasons why I bought a dobeck controller.

And to spider-lōc, Im not planning on doing anything more to the engine other then the big three, I've got a missus nagging me for a ring... and I don't mean piston rings...

anyways thanks guys for ur inputs

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

And to spider-lōc, Im not planning on doing anything more to the engine other then the big three, I've got a missus nagging me for a ring... and I don't mean piston rings...

If you're not going any deeper any intake is fine. I wish I'd stayed big3 and never bought that ring kit she wanted I didn't know it came with an expensive party and a life sentence lol I'm kidding I'm happily married good luck bro.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
First of all the PC3 has the same type of adjustment buttons on it as the doebeck, plus you can fine tune it with a PC....and who does not have a PC now days.... the pc3 will support any mods in the future if you choose to go that route, the doebeck will not.

As for the intake the trinity will let lots of dirt by as will most K&N type filters, if not all but the FCI. I had the trinity and ended up adding a foam wrap to it to reduce the dirt intake to the engine, alot of people will say that they have no dirt passing through their K&N, but I assure you that if you do some oil testing as I have, you will see that it does. don't get me wrong....I am not saying a K&N will destroy your motor, but it will take its toll...you can't have more air flow without sacrificing filtration. If all you want is a big 3 bike, I would use a foam type filter and not worry about it or go for the FCI. Just my .02.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Oh and I forgot to add.....marrige is the main cause of divorce. :D

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Foam filter it is! Iv also been hearing about Amsoil filters though I can't seem to find them anywhere. I live in australia and iv checked both TQS and KB Motorsports websites but they don't seem to have them. I also found a 22 page thread on a guy who was "selling" them or "redirecting them" or what ever but I think mad dog said something to him when he started swearing at some guy that called him a "seller". Havnt heard anything since then.

Also I know the pc3 has some fine tuning buttons on the controller, but I found this after after I bought my dobeck. Oh well, the dobeck will do for now.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just to add, the reason fci filters don't dust as bad as a k&n is because they use 6-8 plys of guaze while a k&n uses 4 plys. You can replace your k&n filters with a s&b filter which is 8 ply. S&B makes universal filters just like k&n. I have replaced all my k&n's with s&b's. I have found they just filter better.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Just find a girl you hate & buy her a house. :lol:

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's wat I was thinking. I might just stick with a foam filter on a billet adaptor with a outwears lid. But all opinions are welcome
Yup, dead on. I'm one of those want all the power I can get...without compromising engine longevity. I'd rather run a clean reliable engine at the cost of 1/2-1 HP than pay the price of an early rebuild. I believe to have found the best of all worlds combo with an FCI intake (which is far from a must for your build), a fitting FOAM filter with an outerwears, and no lid. Great flow with excellent filtration. If you would like the largest diameter filter/flange to suck more than adequate air for your motor, look at the CFM set up. 4" opening integrated into an aluminum box with a removable lid. So when your in a dust storm, you can have even better protection. Face it...unless you are racing, your never gonna notice or miss 1hp at best if you wanna really stay safe in dirt. However, you probably will miss the extra money you may end up spending if your filtration isn't good enough.

K&N is for street. Ask yourself why every off road vehicle comes with a foam filter....

...and, as so eloquently put by so many others...just my .02

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup, dead on. I'm one of those want all the power I can get...without compromising engine longevity. I'd rather run a clean reliable engine at the cost of 1/2-1 HP than pay the price of an early rebuild. I believe to have found the best of all worlds combo with an FCI intake (which is far from a must for your build), a fitting FOAM filter with an outerwears, and no lid. Great flow with excellent filtration. If you would like the largest diameter filter/flange to suck more than adequate air for your motor, look at the CFM set up. 4" opening integrated into an aluminum box with a removable lid. So when your in a dust storm, you can have even better protection. Face it...unless you are racing, your never gonna notice or miss 1hp at best if you wanna really stay safe in dirt. However, you probably will miss the extra money you may end up spending if your filtration isn't good enough.

K&N is for street. Ask yourself why every off road vehicle comes with a foam filter....

...and, as so eloquently put by so many others...just my .02
I have been running K&N style filter for years on bikes. Never had an issue or ever had a speck of dust in my intake tube. Outerwear is ment for off road. I also run a pro flow foam, only because my bike came with it. Slap the foam on for the dry summer day and I dont feel a difference

1 - 19 of 19 Posts