Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost all the parts that I want.... atleast for now. What I need now is a PCIII and a filter and intake system Pro-Tec Lid. I am hearing different opinions as far as which to get. I do most of my riding in the Trails and Dunes. The three that I am looking at are K&N w/outwear, UNI and NO-TOIL. I know I am opening a can of worms but I need you guys to lead me to the promise land.Let the games begin!

·
Registered
610 Posts
What someone told me after I got my intake stuff is you don't need the outerware if you have the Pro-Tec lid. Same difference, but what I really replied for is to ask you what a "NO-TOIL" is? Got a link?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you have a Pro Design setup, thats what I am leaning towards unless someone can tell me and convince me why its not the way to go. Here is that Link http://www.notoil.com/.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Ive ran a K&N w/outerwears and now a UNI with a Pro-tec lid and neither gave me any problems. If I had to go buy again for another quad I would choose the UNI and Pro-tec lid again. :thumbsup:

On intakes go with Pro-Design, GYTR, or Trinity they have the better intake. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I agree, prodesign, trinity, or gytr. GYTR's are a tad expensive from the dealer. The prodesign you can find for $99. The trinity is really expensive, and for NO good reason.
I run the prodesign with k&N and outerwears. I ride woods/trails/fireroads. This setup has worked perfect for me on this machine,my old yfz, 660r, shee, and warrior.

If you run the protec lid (which I ended up doing on my yfz) then you dont need a second outerwears on the filter. As far as filters go, uni "filters" better, k&N's breath better. Uni is a pain to clean, k&N is a sinch. uni wears out, k&N does not.

I would go with the k&N with outerwears. I always check my intake boot when i am cleaning the filter, and there is NEVER anything in it, so obviously its flitering pretty well. Just make sure and oil the thing well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is there any real performance difference between the Pro-Design w/ K&N and the GYTR high flow setup? I heard that the Yamaha filter was made by K&N but is slightly smaller...does the Pro-Design set up flow better? Also, will the Pro-Design set up fit under a stock and or Pro-Tec airbox lid?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I doubt there is any measurable diff between the gytr and the prodesign. The gytr is a K&N type, yes....but I dont think it is a k&N. The prodesign will fit under the lid, or with the protec lid....however, if you are wanting to run with the STOCK lid the gytr would be better as its flat on top and has more surface area and open area between the lid and the filter.
If you are running the quad with the lid off, or the protec I would personally go with the prodesign with k&N.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just orderd a CFM Performance air intake and a K&N filter.
They say it has the largest intake hole for the air filter at 4 inches.
Stock is 2 1/2" And the Trinity one I have is 3 1/2".
I just figured "Why not"?

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I run the CFM setup also :thumbsup: A nice bonus is the fact that it uses a 250R filter, and I was able to snag a spare filter on Fleabay for $20.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Whats up Pacanis :grin_nod: 'NO-TOIL' is a brand of air filter and cleaner and oil. Its Bio-degadeable and you have to use their cleaner to get the oil out. Good news is their cleaner immediately releases the oil and the filter cleans up easier than any other cleaner/solvent I have ever used. Relatively cheap too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey you guys that got the cfm setup i was looking into this setup and found a nice upgrade to the filter they run. I just didnt know if it would fit inside diameter was kinda big for that lil intake case. I just figured bigger is better k&n part number RE-0870 its on ebay for $46 shipped thats still cheaper then a pro design somebody try it for me lol

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So... I can get the Pro Design Kit with intake, filter and outerwear for $114, or all the same components with the GYT-R for $99.87. Which way should I go? Forget about the money difference, but remember everything else on my bike IS GYT-R. Input would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
roc64 said:
So... I can get the Pro Design Kit with intake, filter and outerwear for $114, or all the same components with the GYT-R for $99.87. Which way should I go? Forget about the money difference, but remember everything else on my bike IS GYT-R. Input would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike

Me personally, I'd go for the GYT-R it's evey bit as good as the pro design and less money= no brainer for me ;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats what I was thinking and its matched to my pipe, but the guy at Fuel Moto said the Pro Design is a great intake and he would prob go with it. I know just an opinion, but they do see alot more than we do. Still haven't made up my mind.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've noticed that with K&N filters (both with & without an outerwears) you do get more air, but you tend to also get more fine sand/silt passing through as well. What I did for all my quads & truck was to wrap the K&N filter with a K&N foam pre-filter. That has done a good job of allowing lots of air, but filtering out even the fine dirt. The ither good thig is that the actual filter doesn't ever really get dirty. I just have to remove the foam & clean it, and it even easier than cleaning the filter.
Just my .02

·
Registered
21 Posts
ROC,
Were did you find the GYTR w/ k&n for $99?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
TXRaptor700R said:
ROC,
Were did you find the GYTR w/ k&n for $99?
Yeah.... msrp for the the filter, adaptor and outerwears puts you at $124.85. Usually have to buy gytr stuff at the dealer, as its a yamaha product.

Ebay is always showing the prodesign intakes for $99-$109 with free shipping and it includes K&N, adaptor, and outerwears.

I bought mine for $99 with free shipping off ebay. The buy it nows are always on there for either the $99-$109. To me it was money and the fact I hate the blue dye fliter....but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I go thru Yamaha oF Troy! The guys name is Robert and he has given me the absolute hookup on all my parts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts