Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I put the motor back in the bike I couldnt figure out how the reverse cable attached. so I put it on like this. now it seems theres just enough tension on the cable that when I downshift from 1st gear it automatically goes into reverse without using the knob. this makes for super fast manuvering and i can back up and stuff without taking my hand off the throttle. Ive only accicdently shifted into reverse once while downshifting to 1st and that was when I first realized it did this. ive rode about 3 hrs now and havent messed up again, I can ride without doing it. so my question is - is it alright for this small amount of tension to be on the reverse lever at all times? if its alright then id like to keep it like this. and whats the correct way to put it on?

heres a video of going from neutral, to 1st, to reverse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNFtii8Ywo

·
Registered
204 Posts
The correct way to put it back in is to loosen up your cable. Then take that piece on the end and push it through with the wire sticking up so it will go through the small slit. Tighten the cable and then you'll be alrite.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The cable shouldn't bend going into the cable end, the cable end should go thru both halves of the reverse arm. Removing the arm from the trans might be the easiest.
The pic isn't the best but it may help

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
John- the reason for the reverse switch : is basically a lock-out to prevent you from putting it in revese while moving forward...I'd keep it on the right way, it only takes once to forget it does that and your trans could end up in pieces...Gotta ask ourself the question "is the quick manuevering worth the risk of a messed transmission?"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts