Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll. Long time no talk.

I've got a huge issue on my hands. Very fed up and irritated.

About 4 months ago I had a buddy install a HC Stg3, Tech Piston, FCI Intake, PC5, and dual exhaust after he tore down the quad and had it powder coated.

I've ridden it 4 times since then. 3 times in the dirt and once in the sand. The first three times it ran AMAZING. Pulled thru every gear, no pissin or popping, no issues what so ever.

I took it to the sand for a 4 day trip. Days 1-2 it was running great. The 3rd day is when the issues started to take place. I was riding for a few hours, came into camp and rested. I went to restart the bike after an hour of resting. It took a long time to start and after it was started it sounded like it was missing. My buddy and I checked everything out and found the coil attached to the spark plug was loose. We resecured it and plugged back in the lower connection to the coil. Everything was fixed....I thought.

I went out for another 1 hour ride and on the way in I noticed a huge lack of power and it sounded like it was missing again. I checked the coil connection again and it was fine. At this time I got back to camp and shut it off. It wouldn't start again. Infact as I tried to start it I had spurts of oil spurt out of the exhausts. I packed up and drove home. It sat for a week and then I took it to a local shop.

When i dropped it off at the shop the owner tried to start it with me there. He got it started and it was idling OK, not too bad but not as good as it should be. He started it a few days later and it idled and rode great for the first minute or two. He let it sit for a few more days and couldn't get it started. Let it sit again for a few days and got it started but it wouldn't run right.

After him having it for over 1 month he said he has gone thru the WHOLE electrical harness including all sensors and connections. Still makes no difference and the issues are unresolved.

As of now the quad sits in the same state it was when I left Pismo. It starts sometimes, runs decent sometimes, and sometimes doesn't run at all. I don't know what to do next. It's not throwing any codes.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Couple of things I've seen:

1. The loom up front feeding the coil, fan, etc... Open it up all the way and inspect all wiring in there. I've seen this fail on 3 different bikes. The wires wear out inside the loom and will intermittently short out and eventually prevent the bike from even running.

2. Don't ask how it happened, I have no clue, but my bike last year had similar issues as you describe. Turns out I had about 10 wires in the main loom to the CDI which were worn to the point of shorting, just a few inches from the box. Bike would run but hesitate a lot, cut off randomly and then it wouldn't start for hours, then run normally for a bit, etc. Really annoying.

3. The positive main going from the battery to the main fuse box, and then box to starter... Sometimes the nut will come loose on either end and cause an intermittent connection there. Again, similar symptoms...

Good luck

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
qcraptor - checked all that and everything was good.

Still having these issues. compression is good, timing is good, everything checks out internally.

Any more ideas? At this point we have replaced the fuel injector and ecu/cdi/ecm

·
Pity is freely given, Jealousy is earned
264 Posts
Have you removed your PC5 and tried running it in with out that ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had sort of the same issue..... I had put in some 94 octane fuel but it had a lot of ethanol in it....didnt run right until i totally drained the tank and put in regular 87 octane fuel.....Just something for ya to try.....

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
(The loom up front feeding the coil, fan, etc... Open it up all the way and inspect all wiring in there. I've seen this fail on 3 different bikes. The wires wear out inside the loom and will intermittently short out and eventually prevent the bike from even running.)

+1 Sounds like mine, so I just replaced my wiring harness and it fixed it..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts