Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Ariel, I live in British Columbia Canada, turned 20 in June of this year.
I used to ride my parents utility quads, they have Polaris sportsman 570's, but bought myself a birthday gift in June, a 2020 Raptor 700R SE, rode it about 3 hours over 2 days, then was in a bad accident, and hurt badly. I am doing much better now, walking around, and last weekend even rode it 2 hours Saturday, and almost 3 hours Sunday. I love it, and yes it is 100% stock so far.
I would rather spend a few dollars more to get quality parts, and with that said, want to ask a bunch of questions.
What is a good light bar?
Good winch?
Good rack for carrying stuff?
Good heated grips?

And is there a tutorial thread on how to do an oil change, and other regular maintenance items.
What are you all finding as the ideal tire pressure for it, FYI i am about 51 kgs, or 113 pounds.
Any known weak things that I should change ASAP. I won't race it, or ride it really hard, just fun trail rides, and if I do jump it sometime in the future, it will not be a huge jump, I don't ride crazy.
Thanks in advance everyone.
Ariel

·
Super Moderator
8,279 Posts
Ariel,

Stick to the tire psi on the machines warning labels on the fenders, in that range anyway. I can dig up an older thread about a winch install I recall.

In the other thread, six pack responded about heated grips. Glad you are back on the machine after crashing! And again, PM me a valid email I can send over a pdf service manual that will help tons on servicing your machine.

Install some type of hour meter for a maintenance schedule and keep a log of it.

Reactions: CanadianGirl

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,600 Posts
Light bars from Amazon would be good, but finding a mounting kit may not be easy. Some fabrication may be necessary. The higher it's mounted, the better.
A 1000 or 1500 pound winch should be enough. You'll need to convert that to Kg. If interested, I have a winch mount for sale for a 700.
A 6 pack rear rack may be about the biggest you'll find. I don't think I've ever seen a front rack.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
There is a full size rear rack still available for the 700.
I considered one before buying a 6pack rack.
Years ago there was a company that made front racks for the 700, 660, and 350 too.

As for the winch, you'll need to adjust your suspension to accomodate for it's weight.
Many of us here have bought from @DEZPERADO, he's great to deal with, and still has parts you'de be lucky to still find anywhere else...like a 700 winch plate(rare).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, changed the oil and filter last night, cleaned and lubricated the chain as well.
Just ordered heated gloves from Amazon, and a 6 pack rack. Certain to get it stuck, as I often ride with 4x4 utility quads, but wanted a fun, lightweight (for a quad) more playful machine.
My only complaint about it is the terrible thumb throttle, it needs a twist throttle like my motorcycles.
Going for a group ride today, will be riding with another Raptor 700, and 8 utility quads of various brands. What a great forum, glad to have found you all.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Twist throttle is an easy swap.
There is even an aftermarket thumb throttle that the grip unlocks and turns into a twist throttle, and you can swap between either without removing anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Twist throttle is an easy swap.
There is even an aftermarket thumb throttle that the grip unlocks and turns into a twist throttle, and you can swap between either without removing anything.
Been riding a dirt bike since age 5, twist feels natural to me. So will definitely be converting that, and suppose I better add a skid plate soon before I bust something open. Gives me lots to shop for, and all winter to work on it, when instead of a quad, I will be riding my Ski-Doo.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Been riding a dirt bike since age 5, twist feels natural to me. So will definitely be converting that, and suppose I better add a skid plate soon before I bust something open. Gives me lots to shop for, and all winter to work on it, when instead of a quad, I will be riding my Ski-Doo.
build a hybrid...
hqdefault.jpg

·
11,600 Posts
With her weight, I don't think a winch would need suspension adjustment other then the normal sag and tweaking of rebound and compression.
As far as the thumb throttle, try rotating it so you use more of your palm to operate it.

·
11,600 Posts
A winch and mount will be 40-70 lbs, sitting in front of the suspension.
It will change the handling.
I'm thinking 25-30 lbs. Small winches aren't that heavy and the mount is 6 lbs. with a steel, hawse fairlead. Roller fairlead would be more, and I think I have a aluminum hawse.

·
11,600 Posts
I'm thinking 25-30 lbs. Small winches aren't that heavy and the mount is 6 lbs. with a steel, hawse fairlead. Roller fairlead would be more, and I think I have a aluminum hawse.
I have a new, Warn Winch Mounting Kit #71974 for a Raptor 700 weighs 3 lbs., without fairlead, and unavailable from Amazon at this time.

Hiltex, 1500lb. winch #11302 weighs 15.92 lbs. available on Amazon for $72.

I believe I have one used steel roller fairlead, one new steel hawse fairlead and one new aluminum fairlead to fit.

About 25 lbs. with hardware, total depending on fairlead. And it replaces the front bumper.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have a new, Warn Winch Mounting Kit #71974 for a Raptor 700 weighs 3 lbs., without fairlead, and unavailable from Amazon at this time.

Hiltex, 1500lb. winch #11302 weighs 15.92 lbs. available on Amazon for $72.

I believe I have one used steel roller fairlead, one new steel hawse fairlead and one new aluminum fairlead to fit.

About 25 lbs. total depending on fairlead. And it replaces the front bumper.
That's it?
Do you have a picture of how the plate and winch mount?
If that's all it weighs, and it'll fit with my CCP stabilizer and gytr heavy duty bumper, I'll buy it if she doesn't.
Weight was the only thing stopping me from buying a winch to start with...but 25 lbs, I want it.

·
11,600 Posts
Replaces front bumper, I missed that, sorry.
I could possibly have something fabbed.
That's it?
Do you have a picture of how the plate and winch mount?
If that's all it weighs, and it'll fit with my CCP stabilizer and gytr heavy duty bumper, I'll buy it if she doesn't.
Weight was the only thing stopping me from buying a winch to start with...but 25 lbs, I want it.
It mounts under the CCP and is sandwiched on top of the existing frame holes. Moves CCP up about 3/16 in. I did install it, but never mounted a winch. Sorry for the upside down pages.

·
11,600 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really like that, would be good for low snowfall areas that my mountain sled is not meant for.
Do you know who makes that?

Ordered some battery heated gloves, socks, and vest today.

Any skid plates that are a lot better than the rest? Or just pick anything and buy it?

Order a Lincoln grease gun on Amazon.

30 or 40 lbs is not terrible, beats being stuck with no way to pull myself out. For longer rides, the extra gas on the rear rack will help counter balance it somewhat.
Had a great ride today, talked my Dad into carrying gas for me.

Is any particular twist throttle kit preferable above the rest, that mod needs to be my priority, my thumb hurts from todays long ride.
I need to learn how to post pics.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts