Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what Battery Tender I should get the 6v or the 12v for my raptor and is anyone using this unit or is it a waste of money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
get a 12 volt. I use one on my lawnmower in the winter, I have a plow on it, its nice because the battery is fully charged and ready to go once the snow is on the ground. I don't use them on any of my quads because I run them often, at least once every 2 weeks. I would recommend it if you don't ride more then once or twice a month. You can get them cheap at www.harborfreight.com I love it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Chucked said:
get a 12 volt. I use one on my lawnmower in the winter, I have a plow on it, its nice because the battery is fully charged and ready to go once the snow is on the ground. I don't use them on any of my quads because I run them often, at least once every 2 weeks. I would recommend it if you don't ride more then once or twice a month. You can get them cheap at www.harborfreight.com I love it.
That's where I bought mine :thumbsup: I use it for the quads, camp trailer and the snow blower. Batteries just last longer when fully charged.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not a waste of money at all. I know people that have used these for years and haven't had to replace their batteries because of it. Now I got one and rotate it every few days from the Raptor to the Hayabusa to the Mustang. Winter kills batteries when they sit, Battery Tenders keep them alive.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Add myself to the list of satisfied Battery Tender owners/users.

You can buy extra pigtails and leave them installed on all vehicles you want to maintain, and just rotate the BT around once a week or so.

If you don't want to pay the $8 or so for the BT pigtails, you can make your own from zipcord (like for table lamps, etc.) and connectors from Rat Shack for less, especially if you need more than one or two.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I got one for Christmas but haven't hooked it up yet :lol: I'm lazy

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I was conned into buying one when I purchased my quad. I type "conned" because my quads are locked up in an insulated garage. The temperature in there is almost always in the 60s - not really cold enough to kill batteries.
If the garage wasn't heated I'd probably use the tender but so far it has just sat unopened on a shelf and the quads have sparked up every time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Battery Tenders are worth thier money!!! Dead batteries are expensive. If a battery drains down all the way, it looses its charge capacity and will never be the same again.

The Raptor though does not have a clock or anything that uses battery power when turned off. I rotate my Battery Tender between my street bike, wifes bike, Jeep, and the Raptor. Buy seperate pig tails. When I first hook up to my street bike that has a clock, it takes a whole day for the light to turn green and go in trickle mode. The raptor may take an hour at the most before it goes into trickle mode. So I leave it on the other bikes longer than the Rapy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you don't ride weekly the battery tender is worth it's money. In cold weather states, a must.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have used one for about five years now and it was money well spent cold weather or not an un-used battery will lose it's charge and eventually suffer damage. I agree with Phuzz, get the pigtails and it's an easy hook-up, all my bikes are set up like this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought my battery tender today and extended pigtails thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts