Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how bigof a risk am i taking if i buy a 01 raptor. i realize that there are issues. but i don't ride very hard. i take care of my stuff and ride smart and without abusing my machine. if the machine is low hours what are the chances that i will have issues with the tranny or starter clutch? how much are those problems to fix and how hard are they do do your self?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
You are buying a used machine any way you look at it. I myself ride an '01. I have to assume that the reason you are asking about an '01 is because you have one in mind, and that this bike probably hasn't had the transmission replaced? It's just luck of the draw I think, and I'm sure others on here will agree. The '01's get a bad rap because 2nd gear was known to go out, but there are a lot of people who have them and don't have any problems at all.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I ride a 01 aswell..I had 2nd gear go out last year. It has been replaced & upgraded since.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I personally like newer machines. I could have gotten something faster but older and i decided to go with a newer model to avoid issues. However if you are planning to ride often, its a good idea to get to know how the quad works. Working on it yourself is a good start to learn how to trouble shoot issues while on the trail. As i found out my used 07 has had its list of issues. Some times ppl are selling it cause it is a headache they dont want to deal with. you might get lucky but anything 12 years old is going to be worn out. Check the bottom of the quad and see what it looks like. You can usually get a good idea of how the other person rode it. If its beat to S#it then you may want to think twice.

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
I'm happy with my 01, original tranny (knock on wood).

·
Registered
68 Posts
i got my 03 last year about this time....it was a basket case when i got it and love it....even though its an 03 it still has problems....currently tore down getting a rebuild per thought second gear was out....turns out its the shift drum is wore....mine was abused when i got it and im not afraid of working on it....i got it super cheap.....its all in what you are willing to do and how cheap you can pick it up.....lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ride with a guy with an 01. Does just fine. basically the same bike as my 04 (his has several mods). Just don't pay out the @$$ for it. Do your research. Ensure the bike has been taken care of and serviced regularly. Just like anything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's kinda what I figured. It's at a dealer. It has the black plastic that was infamous to scratches and looking at the pics it doesn't look too bad. I haven't seen it in person yet. Also not to change subjects but I saw somewhere that the starter clutch issues can often be fixed with a large o ring rather than the whole new clutch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's kinda what I figured. It's at a dealer. It has the black plastic that was infamous to scratches and looking at the pics it doesn't look too bad. I haven't seen it in person yet. Also not to change subjects but I saw somewhere that the starter clutch issues can often be fixed with a large o ring rather than the whole new clutch?
I would wager that you won't run into any starter clutch problems....for a while :cool:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
A O ring will not save the starter clutch. but you can buy a starter clutch before it fails if you want to be safe. L&A are nice.

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
One of the OEM one-way starter clutch failure modes is loss of the large spring which surrounds the bearing and holds the sprags in place. An o-ring can also hold the sprags in place if the spring is broken... however, it's not a long term fix - it too will fail, and this is only one of the failure modes.

Best bet is a new one-way - but only if/when it's necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay cool. actually found a 03 that is widened, has yfz shocks, new tires, nerfs, anti vibe stem, exhaust, intake etc for only a little more. and it already has the la designs one way in it. so hopefully sunday it will be mine

·
Registered
349 Posts
I took a chance with trading warrior 350 for my 01, I put a little into it and it is a good running raptor, would love to have a 700 one day, but I am enjoying riding this one for now.

·
Will Wheelie for Gas
73 Posts
Ive been riding my 01 for 8+ years now and just lost 2nd gear yesterday. Atleast I believe 2nd is gone. I dont ride3 easy by any means, really I beat the shit out of my quad. I love my 01 and will prob keep it when I get my 4x4!

·
Registered
36 Posts
honestly, i wouldnt buy an '01 just buy an '02 and up. transmissions are real expensive, even used. they will go out. Time will tell. It's a ticking time bomb. Trust me. ive had THREE '01s

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree, why buy an 01? There are so many other years out there for sale why take a chance? Unless its so cheap you just have too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts