Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a thread on here earlier about a case for a 660 motor....
got replacement case and everything switched by inland atv in mira loma
however...
while in there i decided to do a stock bore 11:1 wiseco piston....and a stage 1 hotcam...now my starter is having a hard time turning over the motor...it started when i first tried....but as usual there were a couple loose lines and hoses...so by the time everything was tightened for the 5th time...it wouldnt start :confused: ...i partially attribute it to the new/higher compression...but with the kick up in comp. do i need to get my starter re-wound for more torque??? or does anyone sell a high torque starter??? :3question:

thanks... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
i have the same set up (internally) and my starter hasnt caused me a problem yet. did the decompression mechanism get taken out of the stock cam and installed in the new one? if so make sure it was installed correctly. if a shop did the work for you, it souns like they forgot the decompression mechanism. without it your starter is trying to push the full compression instead of only a portion and that would definately cause it to wear out fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i installed the cam...as far as decompression mechanism....do you mean the holes on cam?? if so then i put them up...if its the little metal pieces on the gear i put those on as well....as far as when i removed the cam thats all that came off other than the gear...is there something im missing?? :help:
when looking in the service manual it said with the crank at TDC the lobes face down into the motor and the holes on the back (decompression holes) up...was that correct? or am i missing something else?

·
Registered
39 Posts
You have to make sure when the weights on the cam gear are where they want to be (sprung to the inside) the little nipple (decomp. pin) is up. You can install the cam gear on the cam and have it 180 degrees out if I am not mistaken. Then it would be there, but not function at all. maybe pull the valve cover and check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i remember seeing those on the stock cam...but on the hotcam i didnt :confused:....i even spent significant time looking for thiem, i will try to take pics of it tonite when i get home from school thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i already got it in...the instructions that came with the cam sucked...these were way more detailed....thanks i had to call them and they just gave me the clearance...then said that i just need to heat cycle it twice, check the valves and itll be good...this page gave more specific details....thanks bro :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a totally stock '03, the other day I was out riding(faster than I should have been) along a river bed and out of nowhere came a pretty much 8 foot drop. Luckily enough I spotted it with enough time to stop but had to hit the front brakes real hard and ended nose wheelieing the bike right on top of myself, nothing too major but now when I go to start the bike I have to hold the starter button for about 3 or 4 seconds before it even starts to turn the engine over, still fires up but just kind of odd. I'm hoping it's just a loose wire or crappy ground but everything seems to be ok, any ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts