Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day i went out for a night ride.. it was the first time using the headlights since ive had the bike.. so im driving in a parking lot messing around and i see my lights flicking and bike felt like dying but it didnt so i sed hell with it and went home.. called a friend up and was talking to him about it he sed if it was my stator that if i unplugged the battery the bike would die if it was bad.. so today i went out riding just up and down the street everything felt fine and normal like it usually does.. when i parked my bike i remembered to pull the battery and the bike died.. so is my stator bad?

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
I think you always have to have the battery hooked up....
Not correct. The bike will continue to run just fine from the 12V supplied by the stator through the rectifier/regulator (assuming they are working properly).

If you disconnect the battery and the bike dies, the charging system (either the stator OR the rectifier/regulator) is not working correctly. You'll need to make some measurements with a volt meter to determine which.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how would i go about doing that? the battery in the bike is bad anytime i want to ride i have to hook it up to my car proir so wouldnt it die after about 10-20 mins or so and what and wherre is this regulator

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also can you guide as to where and how to check voltage was never good at electrical shit thank you and i was checking out the manual and on the wiring diagram for the charging system the regulator is right after the battery if i follow the wiring harness down?

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
What year bike? 01 the rec/reg is below the tail light, 02+ its on the left side outside of battery box.

Find a friend who knows how to use a meter, and I'll tell you what to measure.

Charge your battery with a plug in charger to get it back in usable shape, then we can find out where the charging system on the bike has failed - but we have to make measurements with the engine running and a decent, well charged battery.

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Here's what you want to measure (assuming you find a friend with a meter) AFTER you have fully charged the battery and have let it sit for a few hours after charging is done.

1) Measure battery voltage with engine off. Should be between about 12.0 and 12.5 volts DC.

2) With engine running well above idle, measure battery voltage - should be between 13 and 14.5 volts DC

3) Unplug rectifier and make three measurements with meter set to volts AC and engine running above idle - there are three white wires. Measure all three pair combinations of those three - if you call the white wires in the connector A, B and C, then measure A to B, B to C and A to C. They should all be above 20 volts AC and should all be very close to each other (assuming all were made at the same RPM).

What are your measurements?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok tody i got the volt meter and did everything.. battery was at 12 volts dc when off and the same volts when quad was running..... and the 1 wire had low 5 0r 6 volts ac ... 2 had full power and the 3rd only had alittle

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
So, measuring with meter leads across PAIRINGS of the three white wires - one PAIR measured 5-6VAC, the second pair measured 'full power' (what is this), and the third PAIR measured a low voltage? Is this correct? (these measurments are NOT made with one meter lead at battery minus or frame - they must be with leads across the three pairings of white wires - measure A to B, B to C and A to C). Is this how it was measured?

If so, the stator is bad. If not, measure again please.

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Okay, then your stator is likely bad...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.