Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
160/165 mains are still too small. It's sputtering and backfiring on the top end. But when I put the lid on in ran like a dream.

WTF is going on here? I'm just running without a lid with the freez carb mods and a stock exhaust without sparky. 1000ft asl.

Is there something wrong here... is my quad a freak of nature? I can't find any vacuum leaks, the valves are fine...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Still using the stock needles?
Could it be that most people are giving you jet sizes for aftermarket needles which are smaller at the end than the stock so the jet sizes are wrong?
Guessing here but if the aftermarket are a steeper taper and both are the same size at to clip then the tip would be smaller, correct?
I don't believe (but never looked) that the needle ever leaves the jet, so if it's larger than the jet would need to be larger too.
If not it sounds really good.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, still stock needles. but I ordered a GYTR jet kit so the needles will be in soon. Hopefully as soon as i get a better set of needles in this will work better.

I'm getting really sick of messing with these carbs. If I don't get them dialed in soon I'm going to freak out. I think next week is going to be my first outing of the year and I want to have it perfect by then.

Right now it bogs on the very bottom off idle, the midrange is awesome, and then it pops and backfires on the top end.

By it dogging off idle like that I would probably be running a little rich on the mixture screws?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts