Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to know if you were to bore the stock cylinder do you have to have it replated, nikiasil i think that is what it is called. i was on wiseco web site and je pistons web site and they say for a bore job it needs to be replated, what is the truth about this, do you have to do it or can you just bore & hone and run it.. and if you do then this makes the cylinder made out of aluminum and not a steel sleeve.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
holy crap guys.... no one knows anything about these cylinders, even all of you engine builders.. just want to know if you can bore the cylinder out and not replate the cylinder...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Pretty much any 2 stroke or 4 stroke Bike/Quad cyl made in the last 10 years will require sleeving or replating if bored.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright that is what i wanted to hear.. who all does it and what kind of fee. to do the bore and replate.. iam thinking of a true 700 bore, nothing to crazy just more pep but still trail and slow riding capable.. stage 1 cam and 11:1 comp.

·
Registered
67 Posts
trinity will send you a bored and plated cylinder while you send them your stock cylinder saves about two weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, it will need to be replated. I had Rick Peterson Motorsports (RPM), now MaxPower, do mine. Bore and plate was around $300, if I remember correctly. This was for my YFZ cylinder - on the bright side, the plating held up to a couple of seasons of hard riding before a piston failure brought the fun to a close. Upon tear down, the cylinder wasn't even damaged or worn. Anyway, this is the current "state of the art". Lighter weight, easier to produce, and finally, (and most importantly) superior heat transfer. May as well go for that 106mm bore while you have it apart - come on, you know you want it!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts