Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a Performance Cam for the 660R
cuz that would be kinda cool along with added power...im looking in to getting my quad to Lope...:D

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Well there's cams out there for the 660 there's a pretty good choice out there but I don't think you'll get it to lope like a multi cyclinder V-8 does. The singles don't really lope in my experince.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I was looking for lope to but singles won't have the big V-8 cam lope that a multi cylinder would. I'm sure one the more qualified guys can answer better. I know duals gives it a nice sound on the stock cam.

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
Please be more mindful of the section you place your posts in, this is the 700R section.

Also, there are many threads and discussions here about after market camshafts. A quick search may help you narrow down your question, or more information provided from you as to what you want out of the cam will help others answer your question.

Lope? There is a cam lobe, and I've heard people describe the sound as a "lub" but lope is a new one for me.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Down south it's lope like it don't wanna run at idle,but give it some gas and it comes to life. Hopefully you find the cam for your type of riding. I just realized something maddog it could just be the acsent that makes it sound like lope instead of lub cause alot folks down this away tend to talk with a southern draw of the deep south or the hillybilly twang from the Ky,WV,Tn,and southern Ohio. Me hell I got a little bit of both with a slight ghetto twist. That's to be expected from poor white trash like myself for I am the " Inbread-redneck wigger" ! Good luck cam shopping bro you have a nice selection to choose from some maybe drop true drop inns the others may require some machining to head so the lobes clear the rockers or other parts in the head.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
A single cylinder doesnt lope, it will run really rough sounding or die before it will lope.

Hot cams are new cams, Web and Megacycle require you to send your cam in to be hard welded and they regrind the cam profile. Usually you can order the cam and they will charge you a 150 bucks core charge. When they recieve your cam they refund the 150 bucks.

For cam shafts here you go.

Hot cams Stage 1, 2 or 3.
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cProducts.list&brandid=10&modelid=43&modelyear=2003&enter.x=78&enter.y=14

Web Camshafts has 5 different cams.
http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/atv/yamaha/yamaha_raptor_660_(01-05)_sohc_5v.html

Megacycle Cams also has 5 different cams.
http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/pages/page 61.pdf

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I think High Desert Dyno may also have a 660 grind like thier HDD5050(700R). I could be wrong this,but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. 951-743-6328 thats Daniels number ring him up he can help ya I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
we do offer a BIG race cam for the 660, but it requires a bit of extra work to the head to install, a bit more work then the x4...but well worth it!

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
Lope is the occasional miss that occurs at idle in an engine that has a cam with lots of overlap - it sounds cool, and tells you that this engine will probably have good power at high RPM... but choosing a cam simply for its lope is like driving down the street in the rain with your sub thumping and windows down - it serves no purpose except as showing off - and eventually just gets you all wet.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Lope is the occasional miss that occurs at idle in an engine that has a cam with lots of overlap - it sounds cool, and tells you that this engine will probably have good power at high RPM... but choosing a cam simply for its lope is like driving down the street in the rain with your sub thumping and windows down - it serves no purpose except as showing off - and eventually just gets you all wet.
+1 it's best to pick a cam that fits your riding style,the best. What type of riding it's gonna be used for? How much HP do you need/want? Start there and narrow it down. Theres more people chiming in now,that know alot more so I'm gonna watch for now good luck

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
yea quadman is right on with cams that have alot of overlap tend to lope they tend to make power in the higher revs BUT this gets tricky with all else being equal the power range is peakier but more narrow the BEST example is the X3 and X4 cams both have same duration and lift but these cams are not equal
durations are intake 276 exhaust 274
lift is intake .452 exhaust .429
now cam specs are X3 first and X4 following
IO 36....30
IC 60.....66
EO 59....65
EC 35....29
LSA 102.....108
overlap 71....59
if you can follow that you will see the X3 has an earlier intake closing and more overlap and a tighter LSA (lobe seperation angle)...so depending on the rest of the mods i will give an exaggerated version of usable power range to give a better idea
the X3 rev range will be somthing like 5000 to 7500 where as the X4 will be 4000 to 8500 BUT the X3 will make higher peak TQ numbers then the X4 but the X4 will make higher HP numbers peak TQ on the X3 will be at a higher rpm then on the X4 but the X4 will have peak HP at a higher rpm then the X3 so by saying more overlap will make power in the higher revs is really only refering to its tq curve not hp because with all else being equal the like comparing the X3 and X4...more overlap does not make more hp in the higher revs.....but alot comes down to how the motor was designed...typicaly shorter rod stroker motors like more overlap because there is less dwell time so there needs to be more overlap to give more time for the piston to push out the exhaust gasses to help pump more fresh in...the lobe also comes from the motor being less efficiant at idle...if you are into cars you know that the more overlap you have (tigher LSA's) the less vacuum you have at idle thats why some of the EFI cars do not like to run with low LSA cams like 104 and such...they prefer no less then 108....a carbed motor has less electronics so it doesnt bother it as much and you get that lope everyone looks for

if you want alot of lope on your motor and like most said its harder to get on the single cylinders...put in the X14 cam...alot of overlap and alot of duration but crank up the compression i would run 13:1....the X14 has 292 duration and 77 overlap although the X3 may give alittle more lope simply because it has close to the same overlap but a tighter LSA also slap duals on it....oh and some big carbs may help too...building it this way may sound cool but in the end it wont be all that great to ride unless you have other parts in the motor to support it with those kind of cams i would run atleast a 720 motor and a ported head then you will make use of the duals, carbs, and cam

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking for performance but also with a bas ass sound to it....

·
Baptized in Racing Fuel
142 Posts
Please be more mindful of the section you place your posts in, this is the 700R section.QUOTE]

Could be me but this is in the 660 section...

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I was looking for performance but also with a bas ass sound to it....
With right set of duals it's gonna sound nasty trust me or just ask around.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey guys umm i did post this in 660 MODs not 700...so ya!! :)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Don't argue with mad dog I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does someone have a few good pics of the procedure to change the cam?? was thinkinng of getting a mild cam for trail and maybee the odd track visit. I am sure i am capable of doing the work myself, but having some preview of what i am getting into is always nice. even a link to a thread would be fine if this has been covered allready.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts