Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the flywheel on my 05 660 was damaged when my crank broke. i purchased a used flywheel to replace it from someone on the forum, but it does not work. it is made completely different and the bolt pattern to install the 1 way bearing is even different.

im assuming there must be a year or serial number break. what will work with an 05? the one i need is on the right.

·
Registered
273 Posts
the flywheel on my 05 660 was damaged when my crank broke. i purchased a used flywheel to replace it from someone on the forum, but it does not work. it is made completely different and the bolt pattern to install the 1 way bearing is even different.

im assuming there must be a year or serial number break. what will work with an 05? the one i need is on the right.

what i was told last night that there are 2 04 05 are bigger then the rest

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have an LA one way starter bearing, and it wont fit the new flywheel. i just looked at http://www.raptoroneway.com and i see that they offer two different options.....01-03 and 04-05. so, i pretty much just answered my own question. i guess i will need to sell this flywheel and look for an 04-05

·
Registered
273 Posts
ya that what i said lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 01-03 flywheel and one way is different than the 04-05, if your 05 one way is still good it is better to have that one way and flywheel because of the larger surface area even though it is a little bit more rotational mass.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
04-05 flywheels are larger diameter and use a different (larger diameter) one-way.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
You can use what ever fly wheel you want. You just have to use the 52T gear, One Way, and Mounting bolts to match.

01-03's are lighter but have a smaller race for the one way. They aslo have a smaller bolt pattern. 04-05's are heaver, have a larger one way bolt pattern, and have a larger race for the one way. They are supose to have the one way be more durable because they have a larger diameter.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
You should measure the flywheels. I have a 04 and my flywheel looks like the one on the left, or it dont have any of these drill marks to balance it. Let me know because I might have a extra one coming. I tried to pull my oneway bearing off to look under it to compare but them bolts are hell to take off and I'm in my house not the shop.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
It's quite simple - buy a new 01-03 one-way to fit the the new 01-03 flywheel you have, OR buy a new 04-05 flywheel to fit the 04-05 one-way you currently have...

Either way, you're going to have an extra piece of mis-matched hardware, that perhaps you can SELL on eBay to recoup your losses.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's quite simple - buy a new 01-03 one-way to fit the the new 01-03 flywheel you have, OR buy a new 04-05 flywheel to fit the 04-05 one-way you currently have...

Either way, you're going to have an extra piece of mis-matched hardware, that perhaps you can SELL on eBay to recoup your losses.

iv thought about this. problem is...

1. used OEM flywheels seem to be hard to find

2. new OEM flywheels are f'in expensive

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Well, does that make up your mind then - buy an 01-03 one-way and 52Tand use the flywheel you have?

Another thing to verify though - is the stator the same for 01-03 and 04-05? Since the OUTER diameter of the flywheel is larger, that doesn't mean, necessarily that the INSIDE diameter is larger... but need to check - if it is, the stator may need to be larger diameter too.

OKAY, I checked - stator is the same... no worries.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah that threw a red flag at me too......but from what i could tell the stator is the same (just as you said)

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Hmm, $200 for a new 04-05 flywheel, $250 for a new 01-03 one-way and 52T.... gonna hurt either way unless you're patient and camp on ebay for a 04-05 flywheel.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Before you buy a flywheel on ebay ask the seller to verify it is an 04-05 flywheel. People like to part out earlier 01's 02's and 03's but list the parts as 05's. That way people buy their parts over some one who is honest. That way their parts appear to be newer, better condition, less worn out since they "are from a 05".

I went through 3 sellers trying to buy a 04-05 flywheel for my 03 raptor. They kept sending me ones like I already had. I wanted the heavier flywheel for better low end.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, $200 for a new 04-05 flywheel, $250 for a new 01-03 one-way and 52T.... gonna hurt either way unless you're patient and camp on ebay for a 04-05 flywheel.
QM, where are you finding a new 04 05 flywheel for 200?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com has them for 200 and some change. I have ordered from them before. They are pretty good to deal with. There shipping does seem a little high but their parts are usually a lot lower in price than bike bandit or roonies.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Well if you measure the size you need I might have a spare one for you far a far better price. If you do buy a new oneway for the 01-03 I may buy you oneway and 52 tooth gear for the newer one.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i just placed an order with yamahasportsplaza.com. i got the flywheel and a few other essentials to do the rebuild. i guess if i had to spend $100 extra dollars to get one right away, it isnt the end of the world. plus, you never know what the hell you're getting when you buy used. thanks for the heads up guys

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
i just placed an order with yamahasportsplaza.com. i got the flywheel and a few other essentials to do the rebuild. i guess if i had to spend $100 extra dollars to get one right away, it isnt the end of the world. plus, you never know what the hell you're getting when you buy used. thanks for the heads up guys
Yep that way your garunteed some bone head didnt use a 3 jaw puller and bend it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts