Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my father wants to buy a 660. We found one near us, 2002, original owner, all original, untouched. She wants $2000, which may sound a bit pricey, but we're in NY and this is considered the deal of a lifetime. I just wanted to know if the 2002 had any problems. I know the trannny went on a lot of the 01's but how is everything on the 02? What should I look for when I go see it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Do you have any pictures of it?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Still has the stock tires on it, which usually points to low hours. Stock exhaust usually means that the entire bike is completely stock still, which IMO is a good thing, others have their opinion on it too. A arms still look to have the paint on them and look to be straight, plastics look good. It looks like a pretty clean bike. I'd see if you can talk them down on the price though, because there are newer bikes to be had for around the same price or cheaper. That being said, some of those newer bikes are not in that kind of shape, so you might be spending a few bucks more for piece of mind...something to consider...

Check fluids if you go take a look at the bike too, see what they look like.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, I'm gonna do all the usual inspections but was just seeing if there was something to look out for

And Dog, If it goes is there an upgraded one, or can it only be replaced by an oem one?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I had my 2002 660 for almost five years and it was great. The starter clutch went bad in the beginning, and I replaced it with a l&a kit...or I believe the company split up so some kits are called l&l now. I would not replace it with oem. If it shows signs of going, buy the kit and I always still started it in neutral just to be safe

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I had my 2002 660 for almost five years and it was great. The starter clutch went bad in the beginning, and I replaced it with a l&a kit...or I believe the company split up so some kits are called l&l now. I would not replace it with oem. If it shows signs of going, buy the kit and I always still started it in neutral just to be safe
RG, just to clarify, the company did split up, but L&A is it's own company now and they are the ones still making the one way starter clutches preferred for our bikes :metal:

L&A still makes all the parts in-house, L&L utilizes the same design, but outsources the work, and therefore charges more (according to L&A's website, I have not confirmed this through L&L's website).

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's good they are still making them! I was so happy with my kit. Never had a single problem with starter clutch after installing l&a

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my starter clutch to this point, but I may change mine out after this season just for piece of mind purposes, lol. Better to be proactive I suppose. I guess I could do it before this season, but I'm not THAT proactive, lol. And it is still doing that job to this point, knock on wood.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looks like a really good bike, like others said.. the stock tires, exhaust, clean plastics, all good signs. Buy it before i have to make a road trip to New York and get it!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol, my only problem is she doesn't have the title. In NY it's so hard to get it registered and insured without the title. I have to apply for a title, and I need a bunch of papers signed from her about where she bought it, if she paid sales tax, etc. So if I can get all that done and the quad looks good it's mine :cool:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Lol, my only problem is she doesn't have the title. In NY it's so hard to get it registered and insured without the title. I have to apply for a title, and I need a bunch of papers signed from her about where she bought it, if she paid sales tax, etc. So if I can get all that done and the quad looks good it's mine :cool:
I grew up in upstate NY & we used to do tital serches with the DMV. You just need the vin , We usualy had good results . I havent done this in well over 10 year's but it may be worth a try.
Good luck...

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I just moved back to Michigan from NY, and while I was there, I bought a YFZ450. I went to the DMV while I was there to get a title for it so I could ride, and was informed that there was no titling for offroad vehicles...only registration. As long as the previous owner has a registration for the vehicle, there should be no issues.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She doesn't, that's the issue. She never registered it. In NY your given a title, and when you register it the title changes to a transferable registration. She never did any of that, so I have to apply for a title.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
That sucks. I assume you've already spoken with the DMV about what all is required in order to make this happen, and the list that you gave above (place of purchase, if sale's tax was paid, etc.) is what they need? I hate it when the best bikes mechanically are the ones with the hiccups with the paperwork...not to say that she stole it or anything.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, She has to fill out 2 pages of stuff, place and proof of purchase and sales tax and a bunch of other stuff. Police need to look over the vin and hopefully everything will work out. The reason I know this because I had a Kawasaki with no title and when I went to apply for one I found out i needed the seller to fill all this out and he lived in Colorado...

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Well, hopefully you can get it all worked out, and hopefully this will be even more motivation for her to knock some money off the price for you, lol.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, and yeah true, maybe a few hundred off for no title :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts