Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found these on ebay do you guys think this will be good enough to keep me from bottoming out and help get around round the track a little faster and possible more comfortably.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YFM700r-Raptor-front-16-0-in-shocks-order-/280610079308?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4155aa024c#ht_1141wt_937

i have an 07 with stock pogos.. i have had the rear spring replaced with a stronger one set for my weight (265lbs).

i really like the stock fox shocks that came on my wifes outlaw 525. i need something better for my raptor. i was going to buy a set of stock 08 resi's but then i would have to get then sprung and valved for my weight... these come valved and sprung. but i don't think they have much other adjustments...

i ride some trails but really i want better shocks cause i have been going to the motocross track weekly now and thats when i really hate having stock shocks...i need shocks move forgiving when fall short on the jumps or hit them wrong.

so i can buy these for $330 shipped or buy a set of 08 resi's for 300 then spend another 300 to get then redone for my weight...

oh and these are upgradeable too like if i want to add a resi later or add other adjustments to the shocks i can...

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money on those. The only difference between those and you stock pogo's is the dual rate springs.

I would get a set of stock 08 + shocks with the high/low speed compression and rebound and send them to Wiigstyle for a revalve and respring.

There are a pair of 08's in the for sale section for $225 and Wiigstyle is having a sale on revalving and respringing stock shocks right now.

EDIT....those shocks just sold, so keep your eye out in the for sale section and try to be the first to respond before they are gone.:)

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Imo i would get the 08 stock resi and set them up for your weight and save up money to get them rebuilt later, they difference from pogos to the resi are big they have hi and low speed compression and rebound so they are way better then low end work shocks which are junk for bigger guys. The stocks ones are way tougher imo and you can do more with them that's my 2cents

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
those damn shocks are hard to find damn. next set that show someone please send me a pm if you see them 1st i need them bad
watch ebay bro thats where I got mine..

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
those damn shocks are hard to find damn. next set that show up someone please send me a pm if you see them 1st i need them bad
just pm'ed you.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Works AT Steelers are certainly better than your stock shocks, and at this price point it's hard to argue that there is a better deal out there. Sure you could get some of the 07SE/08+ 700R shocks for around that price but you're going to spend that much money again to get them ready to go for your application. If this is the price point you're at there's no chance you'll be able to bump it up a couple hundred then I think this is the best option you have available.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i wont be able to spend more for awhile 6 months to a year. and i was told i can add a resi to these works shocks at anytime. i wrote the guy on ebay asking if i can just get them from him will resi's for alittle more. i found some 09 stock raptor shocks for 250 shipped i'm going to find out what shipping is on those before i order anything... but its hard to know what i will be better off with for the track 1 night a week i'm not a serious racer i just like to get big air.

·
Registered
415 Posts
there is something about a shock that you can put a resi on that makes me think it won't make it any better. imo i would get the stock resi's and use them how they are. i mean if you can afford a rebuild then do it, but the stock resi's will be much better than your pogo's and then you an have them redone down the road. you can stiffen them up quite a bit with the adjustments, and those works have no adjustment. the ability to adjust is a big plus for motocross.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so i talked to works and they can add resi's to the shocks (resi with a steel line connecting them to the shock), spring and valve them for my weight and riding type with duel rated springs. the only adjustment they will have is preload... for $500 shipped

orrrrr

i can buy a set of 09's with high/low speed compression/rebound adjustments that are like brand new for 270 shipped

as of now i am going to buy the 09's but i just want to know what you guy think, are the $500 built shock worth it. and does anyone know what it will cost to just add a set of duel rated springs to the 09's set for my weight... i will re-valve them when i get them serviced but for now i only want springs

i heard the newer stock raptor shocks are like 1200 and comparable to aftermarket shocks

·
Registered
415 Posts
well wigstyle has a great deal right now. i think its like 300 to have both the fronts revalved for your weight and style with dual rates. so that would be about the price of works and they are just as good as an aftermarket shock, and way better than those works shocks. works are kinda junky shocks. if they aren't fox, elka's, ohlins, or motowoz, i would stay away from them. but a good stock revalve will perform just as good as the standard travel name brands.

·
Registered
415 Posts
well good news the stock 09's are on the way to my house.... woot woot...
:thumbsup: you made the right decision. and if you can get them to wigstyle by the end of the month you'll save a good bit of cash. but these will still be better for you once you get the clickers set up. which will take some time, but well worth it. enjoy the ride.

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
I agree. :)

You will have much more adjustment to fine tune them for your riding style, even in their stock configuration.

Have them re-valved and re-sprung and you will be amazed at how well your quad handles and soaks up the bumps.:thumbsup:

I went from stock pogo's to full on +2 LT and Motowoz shocks and I can clearly say that I will never own another quad with stock pogo's again. :D

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Good decision gunslinger you will love them i have the 09 se shocks and they are great with out being rebuilt but i will be doing that when i save up the moola

·
Registered
615 Posts
well wigstyle has a great deal right now. i think its like 300 to have both the fronts revalved for your weight and style with dual rates. so that would be about the price of works and they are just as good as an aftermarket shock, and way better than those works shocks. works are kinda junky shocks. if they aren't fox, elka's, ohlins, or motowoz, i would stay away from them. but a good stock revalve will perform just as good as the standard travel name brands.
I disagree when you say works are junky shocks, the At Steelers he is referring to are the low end line but they have the higher end shocks they sell and IMO are just as good as the others name brands.

My buddy spent about 1700 for elkas all around on his outlander, I got the works pro g series on mine for 1300 and IMO the works I got were a much better shock.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
well good news the stock 09's are on the way to my house.... woot woot...
THANK YOU gunslinger, and let me know when you get them. Your a great guy to deal with. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THANK YOU gunslinger, and let me know when you get them. Your a great guy to deal with. :)

you too man, when i payed you, i was not expecting you to drop everything and go to the post office that min and get my shocks in the mail to me... thanks for the fast shipping man... i can't wait to get them... i found out the springs are going to be 250 to 290 depending on weather i go with duel or triple rated springs i was hoping it was going to be under 200 for just the springs but whatever once its done i will really enjoy know if i land wrong chances are my bike or spine wont brake in half cause that how it felt with the stock pogo's

·
Registered
415 Posts
I disagree when you say works are junky shocks, the At Steelers he is referring to are the low end line but they have the higher end shocks they sell and IMO are just as good as the others name brands.

My buddy spent about 1700 for elkas all around on his outlander, I got the works pro g series on mine for 1300 and IMO the works I got were a much better shock.
those were the only works shocks i have ever seen. even with resi's they seemed cheap to me just be cause the price was so far off of the bigger names. where did you find those btw?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts