Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am aware of the horrible graphics kit which will be removed if possible by me. He wants 1600$, its a 2001 with reverse and electric start (not sure if its standard on all years). He said it is going to need new tires, "a tune up" , and a new bar behind the seat. ( not sure what its real name is) ... What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
New bars for no apparent reason uasually arent a good sign, check the plastic for white marks and you might want to look at steering stem. New bars usually mean it has been rolled bad and bent the bars, and if the grab bar is bad, it could be from rolling it or a wheelie gone wrong. Find out what a tune up means from his point of view.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Limited660 said:
New bars for no apparent reason uasually arent a good sign, check the plastic for white marks and you might want to look at steering stem. New bars usually mean it has been rolled bad and bent the bars, and if the grab bar is bad, it could be from rolling it or a wheelie gone wrong. Find out what a tune up means from his point of view.
What? How do you know the kid didn't just want different handle bars? A common issue with 01 Raptors are bad transmissions and starter clutch. If this is your first time ever buying a quad, you might want to have someone who knows quads look it over and ride it.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Bikes with no modifications, an average sized rider, and cheap aftermarket handlebars = Rolled quad

Not suggesting this is the case with this bike though. Good deal, even with it being an 01.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Why put new bars on for no reason? and why buy a bar with a crossbar and still use stock dashboard and look at all the white marks you can see on the plastic. Common sense really.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Many people buy new bars for comfort, looks, and because it's a relatively cheap modification that everyone can see. As for the crossbar the vast majority of aftermarket bars, especially stock sized 7/8" diameter bars have crossbars and pads. I include this information because I don't want everyone to think than anyone with aftermarket bars must've flipped their bike too hard. Again I'm not addressing this particular machine.

Now in reference to this machine, Limited has an excellent point about the plastics. Even with these low quality internet pics you can see white stress marks in the plastics. Also if you look closely in the first picture the fender on the shifter side (the one with the partial sticker still on it) you can see that it sits lower than the other fender, indicating that it has been bent or the other has been pulled up.

But these are high performance sport quads and an inexperienced rider (or just one unfamiliar with the bike or terrain) predictably will roll the bike over. I don't think it's necessarily a reason not to buy the bike so long as the frame hasn't been affected. I would however check the integrety of the steering stem and tie rods in addition to all other checks.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It's a $1600 quad, it's going to have things wrong with it.
If it's just been put over a couple times so be it. A factory frame is $600.
I don't understand the excitment, for the price you must expect to do some repairs.
Personally, I don't believe anyone that says they don't abuse thier machine, thats the whole point of owning it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts