Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 06 raptor 700 right now it's totally stock with the exception of a k&n air filter and pre filter. I have found a Duncan fat boy 4 full exhaust system that comes with a vortex ignition system for 500.00. My question is, is that a good deal, is that vortex ignition even a good thing to buy, or do i even need it. If i buy it how do i setup that ignition to my bike.. after spending 500.00 to buy this stuff i won't have the money to take it to a shop to have the ignition setup. Is this a good deal or should i find something else. Please help..

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You will need a Fuel controller to i would recomend a PC3 or a PC5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would i need a fuel programmer when that's basically what the vortex ignition is, it will adjust you fuel to air mixture...making the bike run lean or rich. Whatever you...I need it to do. It will adjust the timing curve also. Why would i need a fuel programmer instead of that. But is it a good deal to buy those things...??

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
I think what racer means is that he would go with a pc 3 or 5 the over the vortex which i havent heard of before and you did say it was an ignition and not an fuel programmer too till your second post. The reason he suggested the pc's is most people on the forum run these and you could get maps fromthem if you needed to. As far as is that a good deal well?....... I don't think id do it, there are betterpipes and fuel controllers out there so id pass on it, but check out tqsatv.com or pm Steve on here and he'll get you going in the right direction

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Google... Vortex ignition raptor 700... There is a bunch on there about them. As far as i understand is it's kinda like both. A cdi and a fuel programmer. It will adjust your timing curve but it also has 3 twist knobs on it that you turn to adjust your fuel to air. So wouldn't that be like a fuel programmer with the exception of you dont have to download fuel maps to it.. you can adjust it right then and there on the bike..

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The vortex for the 700 is a fuel controller, they do not make the ignition or the combo for the 700R. Is it the best? Probably not the most customizable, but there's no NEED for a PC3 or 5 for a piped bike and the end result will be the same as a PC3 or 5. If the exhaust is in good shape then I think that's not a bad deal and if both parts came off the same bike you might not need to have the EFI controller setup, it may be all setup already. Check with your seller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The exhaust is in great looking shape and the guy says that the vortex thing will not need to be setup that it will all be good to go. I think it's a good deal for 500.00 i dont think i would be getting hurt on the deal. Just want somebody else's opinion. I realize the vortex isn't the best but it's probably still decent don't you think..

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Vortex makes good ignitions, and that's all I have experience with. It's an Australian company and isn't as well known here in the states. Duncan makes good products as well. Again neither is the cream of the crop but a full exhaust and controller for 500 bucks isn't a bad setup. The duncan was over that cost when new, and that vortex is just as expensive as a pc3 or 5. But I'd still see if I could get him to knock 100 bucks off the price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
His original asking price was 600 and i talked him down to 500. He said that this stuff only has about 20 hours of use. He is selling it cause he went with a different setup. He got some dual exhaust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or do I even need that vortex at all.. for that matter d.o i need any type of programmer. What if i just put the pipe on and run it.. i do have a k&n filter on it now. With that make the bike run lean or would it still be fine. Just saying... if i buy this stiff and the vortex is bad or something, can i just run the pipe and k&n for now.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
You need a programmer to run an exhaust and intake to keep the fuel mixture from going lean. If you don't have a programmer you can't increase fuel flow to compensate for the increased air.

·
Registered
94 Posts
MADDOG is 100% right you will need an FI controller with the full exhaust. I looked on Duncans website and I didnt see an Ignition for the 700.

VT-3250- Yamaha Raptor 250 ('08-'10)
VT-3601- Yamaha Raptor 660 ('01)
VT-3603- Yamaha Raptor 660 ('02-'05)
VT-3300- Yamaha Banshee (‘95-'06)
VT-3450- Yamaha YFZ 450 ('04-'09)

The EFI is called the interceptor and is $400 new. The pipe is $650 new so $500 isnt a bad price. The Interceptor can be adjusted without a computer too so that is a plus. Is it the best NO....is it better than stock YES. But the seller did the right thing use this set-up do some more research and save your money for some duals. I say go for it! 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anybody tell me how to setup the vortex thing. It has 3 twist knobs but im not sure where i need to set them at.. i will have duncan fat boy 4 full exhaust with k&n filter along with the vortex thing.. what setting do i need to set the knobs on.. any help..? Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
AND there is the other problem....Not a lot of people run the Vortex so there wont be a lot of help. I researched and I do know that the three switches are 0-33%, 34-66% and 61-100% throttle openings. It will adjust the in 2% increments and "0,0,0" is stock! It sounds a lot like a Dobeck controller with the numbers MAYBE someone can chime in and help you out. Give a builder a call EHS racing or HDD!

As far as set up it should be plug and play like the PC3 and PC5......call DUNCAN RACING they sale it they should have something to help you out and maybe a map too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do I have to download maps to it. i thought I could just plug it in and adjust the knobs and i wouldn't have to download maps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i bought the pipe and programmer, once i figure out how to hook it up and where to set the knobs at i will be sure to let you guys know how is running. thanks for all of the help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts