Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I finished installing my new rear axle bearings last night and have noticed some issues. I used Pivot Works bearings. As soon as we got the axle and carrier assembly back in the swingarm, we immediatly noticed there was alot of resistance against it to turn, much more than normal I would say. It took alot of strength to turn it using the hub. The axle nut is only as tight as we could get it hand tight, yet the more we tightened it the resistance increased. We started it up and let it idle in gear for about 5-10 minutes and then shut it off and noticed the axle nut and brake hub were very hot to the touch, like 200-300*F. We decided to put the wheels on it and take it for an easy spin and the same thing happened, except the axle was turning much faster this time but was about the same temp. Is this a normal thing with new bearings? My dad thinks the axle nut side bearing might be dry.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Here's a pic of my new all balls bearings. I poped the seal out with a small screw driver one like you would find in a eye glass repair kit. I packed more grease in mine. The temp your describing seams real high I think at the most it should just be warm to the touch.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
They should not get hot... you have an installation issue or defective/wrong bearings. My guess is that you've got a shim in the wrong side or something else equivalent to greatly increase the pre-load on the bearing races.

·
VIP
1,070 Posts
Did you install the seals on the correct sides?

The inner diameter of the seals are different from the sprocket hub to the brake disc hub. I believe the sprocket hub has the larger inner diameter and if intstalled on the wrong side, will cause the axle not to spin freely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts