Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while out on the Dry lakebed I was riding next to my buddy and he out ran me bigtime.

Of couse my rappy is a stock 07 700R SE and his bike is a 06 YZ450 F tricked out ported and polished with a DR. D pipe and flywheel weight and other crap!

Let me ask the racing gods of rappy's......was this supposed to happen..?

Should a tricked out 450 motorcycle outrun my rappy?

I know a newbie to the whole motorcycle/atv thing I mean the last bike I owned was a hand me down Hodaka from my brother!

Please be gentle with the replies!!!! and take in mind I know nothing about racing!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have been in hair and hounds in your neck of the woods. If you still can see him at the end of the lake bed then you have a good running raptor.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
He should walk you rather easily......I used to have a YZ426F with just a Pro Circuit pipe and quads were easy, that 450 should really fly.. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
No Way you will keep up. I have a crf450r and there is no an atv can keep up with me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i was racing other atv's in the sand completly stock and no sand tires. got beat pretty bad. added sand tires and did a little better but wasnt use to the sand tires. my starting needed a little work. im sure i'll do better in the future. i think that racing modded 450's or banshees with a stock raptor you are not going to do so good. when i get the three mods done i'll let you know how that works!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ya don't feel bad. Those things are hella fast. You didn't have a chance. Its always fun to try though. :thumbsup:

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
Stock vs Stock the 450 should be quicker (50LBS Lighter from the factory) and about 5 MPH faster on the top.....given all is equal.

with that said.........you do the same mods and a PCIII you'll cover him fairly well!

mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
Shredder said:
Stock vs Stock the 450 should be quicker (50LBS Lighter from the factory) and about 5 MPH faster on the top.....given all is equal.

with that said.........you do the same mods and a PCIII you'll cover him fairly well!

mike
:confused: Mike he has no chance against a dirtbike. No way, No how. Im assuming you missread the post.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Jeremy said:
How come they make the dirtbike engines more beastly than the ATVs 450s?
The question is why the 450 atvs aren't up to snuff with the bikes, as all the 450 quads are based of the bike engines.

Part of it has to do with tuning to make up for greater driveline loss, a lot more weight, and more stress. And part of it has to do with keeping newbies on atvs from hurting themselves since there are many more inexperienced riders on 450 quads than 450 bikes.

Combine the greater power output of the bike motors with the huge weight and driveline differences, throw in gearing necessity and you've got the reason why bikes are so much faster, in a nutshell.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I did some research and it is the power to weight ratio that kills me. Quad is 396 dry and i'm 235.....so ummm(counting toes) damn tests.....631 lbs. The YZ450F is 220 dry and say average dude 180 that is 400 lbs. So I was say 230 +/- 25 lbs in the disadvantage and we were going for a long way. If you know El Mirage in california it's 7 miles on side to other. I"m not saying we raced the whole way but even if we did I was toast!

Again thanks for all the info and I'm looking at some mods but I have to get the underprotection for "bessy" first! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Jeremy said:
How come they make the dirtbike engines more beastly than the ATVs 450s?
Not sure about all makes, but as for the Suzuki's they are the same engine.... less weight, less wheel drag, lots and lots of MAJOR differences in all kinds of physics affecting the machines, just my 2 cents. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts