1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
i found this one, but i dont know the difference between x and o-ring chains. http://www.magicracing.com/Pro-Sprocket-amp-Chain-Kit--Yamaha-Raptor-660_p_6530.html

is this a good chain? i was looking for a colored chain and sprockets. ive seen them in pictures but i cant find them anywhere. are they manufactured or do people just paint them?
any feedback is appreciated. thanks guys
When I buy a chain I look for 8000 lbs of tensile strength. Most chains that are labeled "Gold" or Heavy duty are 8000 and up on tensile strength and the one you have listed is 8500. The rings are there to keep dirt out and increase the life of the chain so in my opinion I would consider that a good deal. If your into competition drag racing and you're going to lay down some big HP numbers and strike the tires hard you should ask the big motor drag guys what they run but for woods racing I get more than a season on a good 8500 lb O-ring chain.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I buy a chain I look for 8000 lbs of tensile strength. Most chains that are labeled "Gold" or Heavy duty are 8000 and up on tensile strength and the one you have listed is 8500. The rings are there to keep dirt out and increase the life of the chain so in my opinion I would consider that a good deal. If your into competition drag racing and you're going to lay down some big HP numbers and strike the tires hard you should ask the big motor drag guys what they run but for woods racing I get more than a season on a good 8500 lb O-ring chain.
thanks ranger. i wont have a machine over 50 hp for quite a few years. is that about the average life of sprockets and chain? just one season? i bet my old blaster never had a new sprocket or chain and its a 2001:lol:

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
435 Posts
maybe you can powder coat it? just a thought. or even a few coats with a rattle can.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
thanks ranger. i wont have a machine over 50 hp for quite a few years. is that about the average life of sprockets and chain? just one season? i bet my old blaster never had a new sprocket or chain and its a 2001:lol:
I've done 6000 miles on my stock sprockets/chain and they were still OK when I took 'em off. My new setup (DID non-oring chain with some cheapo sprockets) is almost toast after 1000 miles. The non-oring chain was an order error and the spockets I dunno, I asked for "equivalent to stock" from Steve at TQS and they are just melting off like butter. I think the brand is Primary Drive? Never buying that crap again. I should take some pictures of the teeth on my rear sprocket, it's scary.

A blaster's sprocket isn't subjected to nearly the same forces as a Raptor sprocket, so I wouldn't compare those :)

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
No, I'm sure the chain and sprockets will out last a 50 hour season but I change them for insurance reasons. As a matter of fact I just sold the gold x ring chain I ran 40 hours in 2009 to a kid down the street on a budget. I pressed it on with a new master link for $25 and now he's happily riding through pasture fields with his buddies and the cows.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine aren't showing major wear I'm just wantin a 12t up front and factory rear. Guy I bought it from said he dropped a couple teeth in the rear but couldn't remember and I'm too lazy to go count them. Thanks to everyone that chimmed in. Blueranger we need to set up a ride sometime. All my ridin buddies have bailed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Make sure the sprockets you get are steel and not aluminum, as the steel ones will greatly outlast the aluminum ones.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes sir. What is the point in aluminum sprockets if they don't last? For racers that are trying to shave every pound possible?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes sir. What is the point in aluminum sprockets if they don't last? For racers that are trying to shave every pound possible?
Yes, pretty much. Most racers replace that stuff every race or every couple of races anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Mine aren't showing major wear I'm just wantin a 12t up front and factory rear. Guy I bought it from said he dropped a couple teeth in the rear but couldn't remember and I'm too lazy to go count them. Thanks to everyone that chimmed in. Blueranger we need to set up a ride sometime. All my ridin buddies have bailed.
You should come down and visit CAMP-Upton on the farm this Spring and I'll introduce you to all my buddies. We have a 6 mile hare scramble in 70 acres of woods with about 1 mile motocross loop in semi woods (most of the jumps are pretty safe). We have a timing system and a Barrel racing practice track and a 250 foot drag strip. It's pretty cool if you're not up for a big road trip and you basically want to bust some fast laps on the hare scramble. Toward the end of the day we generally put on a 3 lap race for all who dare to enter.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that sounds like a f'n blast!

·
Registered
247 Posts
wish I lived closer...

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
that sounds like a f'n blast!
You're not far from Shepherdsville, it's only about 40 miles south, I'll try to keep you in the loop or else you check back with me when winter breaks.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're not far from Shepherdsville, it's only about 40 miles south, I'll try to keep you in the loop or else you check back with me when winter breaks.
I'm about 20 minutes from shepherdsville and 65. Hopefully this snow will be gone soon. Can't wait for spring.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im about to order sprockets and a chain. should i stick with stock gearing or drop a tooth on the front sprocket? i believe the previous owner went 2 teeth larger on the rear sprocket and left the front alone. i like gearing it has now but i also want to experiment a bit, but im afraid i will hate the 12/40 set up...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts