Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I was going to clean my UNI 2-stage airfilter, but I cracked the lid pretty bad, so I decided to drill 4 pretty big holes in the lid with a hole saw to get rid of most of the cracks. I cleaned the filter than threw it all together, and once I started it up and got running, I had a pretty horrible mid-throttle bog. I always had a little bit of mid throttle bog, but now it's pretty bad, and will kill it unless I take it back to an idle or get it up near WOT. And also it doesn't seem to want to run or idle nicely unless I leave it almost full choked. So I think it's pretty obvious that it's getting too much air.

Any how, I guess the guy before me did quite a few mods (like the uni 2-stage airfilter), and a really honkin loud yoshi exhaust (seriously FRACKING loud!) with the spark-arrester (not sure if it's the stock header. Think it is...), and when I bought it, he said he had just jetted it, though I'm not sure with what. Not sure how to tell if it's jetted, but right now when I took off the jet, the little brass screw has 148 stamped into it, and the brass "sleeve" (what I assume is the jet??) has four holes in it. Also the needle is set on the middle clip position, on 3-out-of-5 possible positions if that makes sense. I typically run the standard 87-octane if that makes a difference.

So anyhoo, any recommendations on what to set the clip at, and how many turns I should turn the fuel mixture screw (I read 3 full turns is stock)? If any more info is need, please let me know what'll help, and I'll try to figure it out.

Sorry about the lack of knowledge about these carbs. This is my first raptor, and I've only had diesel trucks, so not much knowledge about working with carbs lol. Though I know my way around a wrench pretty well!

Thanks a ton yall!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and about the holes I drilled, I guess you could pretty much say it's the equivalent of riding without a lid on. My reasoning was that this would protect against "splash-age" a little better than no lid, while still getting as best airflow as I could. Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I just did a little more snooping around. Apparently the left main jet is a 146, the right is a 148. Both pilots are 22.5's (and they were pretty dirty, so i blew air through them and now they're clean enough to see through!). And I'm sorry, but actually my needles have 6 positions, and both are set to the 4th position from the bottom (and I call the bottom the "pointy" side of the needle). And I just reset my mixture screws to 3 full turns (which I really think they were nowhere close to 3-turns...), but I'll change it to whatever someone gives me recommendations for.

Also my elevation is 764'

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
And I just did a little more snooping around. Apparently the left main jet is a 146, the right is a 148. Both pilots are 22.5's (and they were pretty dirty, so i blew air through them and now they're clean enough to see through!). And I'm sorry, but actually my needles have 6 positions, and both are set to the 4th position from the bottom (and I call the bottom the "pointy" side of the needle). And I just reset my mixture screws to 3 full turns (which I really think they were nowhere close to 3-turns...), but I'll change it to whatever someone gives me recommendations for.

Also my elevation is 764'
So now you are going to change the pilots to #25, the mikuni mains to around 160 and 165 and the needles will have to be changed to an aftermarket style that have 6 grooves, either GYTR or Vitos will suffice...........................

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome Willy, thanks a ton. I think you missed the part where I said that I double checked and I do actually already have the 6-groove needles. What groove should I set the clips to? They're currently at the 4th from the bottom (post a picture in a few minutes).

And as far as once I get those 160/165 mikuni jets, should I set the fuel mixture screws at 3-full turns?

Anything I can do in the mean time until I get the parts ordered to help the drive-ability?

Thanks again Willy!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Oh, and about the holes I drilled, I guess you could pretty much say it's the equivalent of riding without a lid on. My reasoning was that this would protect against "splash-age" a little better than no lid, while still getting as best airflow as I could. Lol
Awesome Willy, thanks a ton. I think you missed the part where I said that I double checked and I do actually already have the 6-groove needles. What groove should I set the clips to? They're currently at the 4th from the bottom (post a picture in a few minutes).

And as far as once I get those 160/165 mikuni jets, should I set the fuel mixture screws at 3-full turns?

Anything I can do in the mean time until I get the parts ordered to help the drive-ability?

Thanks again Willy!
Yep, I missed that part, and there isnt much you can do without the bigger jets...........:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured as much lol. Oh well, guess I'll just be down till I get me those bigger jets.

And here is a picture of the needles:

Will that be the correct position I should be running them at with the bigger jets? And is 3-turns on the mix screw the right amount?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I figured as much lol. Oh well, guess I'll just be down till I get me those bigger jets.

And here is a picture of the needles:

Will that be the correct position I should be running them at with the bigger jets? And is 3-turns on the mix screw the right amount?
Maybe one notch further down towards the bottom...........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts