Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Help!. I just jetted my carbs, 148/150 mains, 30 pilots, needle on 4th clip, 2 1/2 turns. It fired up fine when I first tried it, tried to ride it, but after I hit 3rd gear, it died, and hasn't cranked since. It just will not turn over. I've tried adjusting the mixture screw, but still won't crank. Any suggestions plz

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
wow 30 pilots?!? what are you running? we need more info (bike mods) and more circumstances.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lrd pro 4 exhaust, k&n intake, no lid. I tried it w/ and w/o the lid on.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Check your battery, cables and starting circuit. if you arent evening turning over, i'd expect your problem is electrical. But i'm no expert.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, my first thought was the plug, I will check that first. The starter will spin, it just won't fire up. After I get it, would u think the reason it quit was b/c it's too rich? and what should I do to get the jets right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. it was the spark plug. Now I need to work on it sputtering and dying

·
Registered
343 Posts
looks like you may need to start from scratch. start with your pilot 30 seems awful big. and if you are using dynojets go back and check your directions for them. you could be rich all the way accross.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
you are rich for sure on the pilots. The DJs are different than mikunis, so i don't really know where to start. Check the stickied jetting thread. Maybe you're parking brake is engaged, thats another thing to check. There are tons of threads on that. if it cut out when you were riding, i'd say you are too rich and fouled the plug. Call LRD and find out what they recommend for a DJ kit. Maybe PM some people with similar setups and find out what they run.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Try starting over with the stock pilots, with the a/f screws out 3 turns on each. I recommend the #25 pilots if you have them (2.5 turns out, a little more out on the right side). If all you have is the stock 22.5, and 30's...stick with the stock p.jets.
Go to the 3rd clip on your needles, and stay with the 148-150 mains for now. You have to get your pilots and needles adjusted right before you work on your mains.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok. thanks for all the help. now I have 148L/150R mains, 22.5 pilots, 3rd clip, and 3 turns on a/f screw. It's doing pretty good, but is still a little hesitant in the mid range. What's the next step??

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
How is the bike running at full throttle?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It runs ok, a slight sputter. This is also w/ the lid off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YEAH, IT'S THE DYNO JET 148/150 MAINS. WHAT SHOULD I GO UP TO? I LIVE IN CHARLOTTE, NC

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
clean the plug up. Then go take it for a ride, spend most of your ride at the point where it sputters the most. try to spend less time at any other throttle position as possible. pull the plug and see what color it is...

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Your alitude is a 748 ASL.

Put the lid back on and see if it sputters. If you want to run with the lid off, I would suggest you increase you main jet size. I'm not a fan of DynoJet kits. The larger needles are the best thing in them.

Go to your local Yamaha store, and ask for the following:

To run with the lid off, you will need:

Mikuni 160 main jet left.
Mikuni 165 main jet right.
25 pilots.
You can use the factory needles, but the larger needles you have are fine.

To run with the lid on, you will need:

Mikuni 150 main left.
Mikuni 155 main right.
25 pilots.
Factory needles are fine as well.

Turn mixture screw 2.5 turns from fully seated, and you're ready to roll.

Install new plug, ride at high rpm for 45 seconds to 60 seconds, pull plug. You're looking for a light brown paper sack color on the plug. If it's a little rich, that cool. Better to be a little rich than a little lean.

Total cost: $10.02

(The two cents is my opinion.)

:lol:

~Brian

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
jeremyta99 said:
YEAH, IT'S THE DYNO JET 148/150 MAINS. WHAT SHOULD I GO UP TO? I LIVE IN CHARLOTTE, NC
Should be more than enough fuel on top, maybe even too much.

DJ needles on middle clip, turn your fuel screws out a ways if you're still using OEM pilot jets (22.5)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Flynbyu said:
Your alitude is a 748 ASL.

Put the lid back on and see if it sputters. If you want to run with the lid off, I would suggest you increase you main jet size. I'm not a fan of DynoJet kits. The larger needles are the best thing in them.

Go to your local Yamaha store, and ask for the following:

To run with the lid off, you will need:

Mikuni 160 main jet left.
Mikuni 165 main jet right.
25 pilots.
You can use the factory needles, but the larger needles you have are fine.

To run with the lid on, you will need:

Mikuni 150 main left.
Mikuni 155 main right.
25 pilots.
Factory needles are fine as well.

Turn mixture screw 2.5 turns from fully seated, and you're ready to roll.

Install new plug, ride at high rpm for 45 seconds to 60 seconds, pull plug. You're looking for a light brown paper sack color on the plug. If it's a little rich, that cool. Better to be a little rich than a little lean.

Total cost: $10.02

(The two cents is my opinion.)

:lol:

~Brian
OK. Please tell me what I did wrong. I ordered the mikuni 160-165 jets and 25 pilots, but when I tried to put them in, they don't fit. They're just a hair too big for the holes. The pilots look completely different and are too big for the hole also. Where can I get them?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts